Slant 6 Wooden Carb Spacer?

-

Jasonbc

Reaction score
Was thinkin of getting a 2 barrel carb off a 318, and adapting it the my stock 1 barrel /6 manifold. 2 inches high..1.75 inch hole for the intake manifold..and on top an oval hole for the butterflies of the 2 barrel. what you think? wood is an awesome insulator, and can coat it to resist oil/gas corrosion i think.

A guy on the 62 to 65 forum constructed a pair of wooden spacers for his stroker dual 4 barrel Poly. Apparently they work pretty good.

I don't think wood would be good for an adapter. As a spacer the wood is under compression, as an adapter it would have to hold the torque of the mounting bolts and stand up to vibration.

There is a place about 35Mi from me caled Alro Steel. They have pieces of what looks like nylon and different kinds of plastic. I bet some thing like that would work better than wood.

a good quality hardwood would hold up to the clamping. I don't think the synthetic stuff would have the same insulating qualities. The wood may soak up gas though......

My uncle Bob made spacers out of this stuff called phenaloc or micarta I think it was called. Tough stuff easy to drill and machine good insulater and impervious to fuel. I think knife makers use it. can get it from knife maker supply places pretty cheap too.

I've built wood spacers for many cars with great success. One was on my 72 BB Charger. Definitly more heat isolation than alum and the same as Phenolic but less expensive. I use 1/2" 9 ply cabinet grade plywood and glue pieces together for more thickness.The best way I have found to seal up the vacuum leaks from the grain is Mopar ATV sealant applied to the outside. I wouldn't use solid, unlayered wood because of the splitting and warping issue. Used them w/ and w/o gaskets with same success. Later

sounds like a waste of time. a spacer, maybe. an adapter? nah. 2 brl intakes are easy enough to find.

Now what would Red Green do??? Sorry, just watched a clip earlier from here. In those immortal words " if the women don't find you handsome; they may as well find you handy". Actually, my brother-in-law did a spacer with a chunk of aluminum about an inch thick. Shaping drilling and cutting was quite easy according to him. Would that then be relativily easy? (however you spell it)

I made a couple of wood ( mdf ) spacers to test open vs 2 hole design and soaked them with epoxy. Seem to work pretty good for the last few months. My car seems to like a 3/4 thick 2 hole design.

74/6, There is an alro place near me too, bunch of cool stock metal and plastics to let the imagination run wild.

Try using an old cutting board. Like the one the lil lady in the kitchen uses.

Easy to cut and drill. I've used them a couple times for odd heat and vibration isolation projects.

Try using an old cutting board. Like the one the lil lady in the kitchen uses.

Easy to cut and drill. I've used them a couple times for odd heat and vibration isolation projects.

ya know, funny you should say that, I've used an old "white" plastic cutting board to make a couple....FF a couple of months and they were a little too heat sensitive, got brittle and cracked.

the wife is still trying to figure out where that thing went :lol:

-
Back