Slant questions for my upgrades.

-

ChazRam

1964 Valiant V200
Reaction score
I am currently parking the Dart for the season to do some upgrades. I am posting a pic or two of the car. What I have done (so far) is get my hands on a Holley 390 four BBL, Offy four BBL intake, a set of Hooker Super Comp 3 to 2 headers. I am awaiting an Offy valve cover. The motor is coming out for a little refreshing. I am going to be putting all of the stuff on the motor and putting it back in with some other new stuff included.
My questions come in the form of thickness of the header versus the intake flanges. I noticed the intake flange is thicker than the header flange. This is going to create some issues. Does someone make spacers or shims for this application? Looked on a Hooker website and found nada. Also I have no linkage or kickdown linkage. Does anyone make a kit I can pick up? Does anyone have any of this stuff they want to sell? Drop me a PM or e mail me at [email protected]. Thanks!!
Chas.

car 2.JPG

008.JPG

Lokar makes a cable kickdown for the transmission, i don'r know about the throttle and make sure you use good gaskets, Remflex or cox bros when reinstalling items or it will leak. P.s. nice car!

I would say that the flanges need to be as close as possible to the same. The triangular washers can sit a little off center/angled to equalize the holding force, but not much. Good gaskets are not near as important ( IMHO ) as true mating surfaces. I'm using the standard fel-pro gasket with some permatex orange high temp goop and it's been fine for about 8 months.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=33620

I'm planning similar mods for my 73. Besides Lokkar, Bouchillon Performance makes a universal kickdown linkage. I was told to look for a Super 6 or V-8 throttle cable for the 4 bbl. The exact length is going to be determined by whether you mount the carb forward or sideways.

I'd be inclined to find some junk material to drill/grind down to simulate the thinner header where it would be contacted by the triangular hold down. IMO it's better to build up the header than to trim the intake. Obviously others feel differently.

Anything wrong with tacking a washer on the header flange to bring it to the same thickness? Mike

-
Back