Slant rebuild book

-

Demon_Jeff_71

Banned
Reaction score
Ok so I have asked many questions on here that have gone unanswered and I am starting to get extremly irritated with the resaults. I am looking for a book that goes through rebuilding a slant similar to the SA Design books on rebuilding small blocks. Appreciate advice.

Thanks
Jeff

As for a book that is based only on a slant rebuild I don't think there is one. The best "book" I can think of is to do a search for "motor rebuild" over on www.slantsix.org

What info are you looking for, anything specific?

That's a good idea. Didn't think of that one. Do you have the isbn or isnb number or whatever it is.

Thanks
Jeff

Here are the two I have. Good info in both of them.

Dodge Dart Plymouth Valiant
1967-1976 6-cilinder engines

Dodge. Plymouth, Chrysler
1971-1989

Ditto what Orange said. I got most all my info from those two books when my son and I rebuilt his slant. Here are a few other good books:

Mopar Performance Parts
part number P4876827
list price $30, but can be found cheaper online

Hot Rodder's Do-It-Yourself Guide To: Chrysler Performance Upgrades
By Frank Adkins
Pub. by CARTECH, Inc.
www.cartechbooks.com
ISBN 1-884089-40-2

How To Build High Performance Chrysler Engines
By Frank Adkins
Pub. by CARTECH, Inc.
ISBN 1-884089-54-2

What have you asked, but not gotten satisfaction?

Jerry

Wow! I just read another post from our buddy Jeff here, ranting about not getting any help from anyone. I guess I should have read it first, before posting the above info for him about useful books for his slant. I might have thought twice about helping this time. Oh well, I'll leave it anyway - maybe someone else more appreciative can make use of it.

Jerry

Wow! I just read another post from our buddy Jeff here, ranting about not getting any help from anyone. I guess I should have read it first, before posting the above info for him about useful books for his slant. I might have thought twice about helping this time. Oh well, I'll leave it anyway - maybe someone else more appreciative can make use of it.

Jerry

Well you know you can't please every one.

I just ordered this book from Mancini Racing before I left for work so I haven't got to see it yet. For 5 bucks it has to be a bargain. I imagine it's more of a horse power tips and tricks book but worth a look. I also ordered the small block book as the minimum order is more than 5.00. But it was on sale also http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/sixcylen.html

Forget the Haynes books, and the performance books. For a stock/or near stock rebuild, get the factory service manual. They are available online. The Haynes books are good for one of two things. They generate heat by burning during the cold weather, or to hold the door open for ventalation, in the warm weather. :toothy10:

Forget the Haynes books, and the performance books. For a stock/or near stock rebuild, get the factory service manual. They are available online. The Haynes books are good for one of two things. They generate heat by burning during the cold weather, or to hold the door open for ventalation, in the warm weather. :toothy10:
Seconded. The factory service manual is by far the best guide for how to rebuild a slant six in print. Hayes is kind of like the Cliff Notes, and the performance book was created to sell MP parts that may or may not still exist.

Actually, I have to disagree to a certain point. At the time my son and I were rebuilding his slant six, we had absolutely ZERO experience with auto mechanics. He was 14 years old, and I had never done any major wrenching in my 50 years - nothing beyond your typical water pump, fuel pump, or points replacement.

We took the engine completely apart to see what made it tick, then dropped if off at a machine shop for a going-over. We told the machinist that we wanted to put it back together as a learning experience. All he did was install the valves (even though I also wanted to do that). Imagine Aaron's and my surprise when we picked up the engine from the shop and was handed a box the size of a coffee table full of new rebuild parts - pistons, rings, bearings, etc.

We did not have a clue what to do, but I had already bought a Haynes manual to do the tear-down and it got us completely through the rebuild with what I thought was fairly thorough information. As I recall, there were very few questions left unanswered by Haynes. Aaron now has about 25,000 miles and three years on the rebuild, so I guess we didn't do too badly.

It's like everything else in life, everyone has his preference. Being ignorant at the time, we didn't have a predisposition towards or against Haynes, and to be quite honest, I didn't even know about a Factory Service Manual. I now have one on CD that I refer to occasionally, but even it doesn't answer all my questions.

That's why I come here :toothy7:
Jerry

I also agree with Charrlie R There is no substitute for a FSM. I have one for all my vehicles, bikes and snowmobiles. Search e-bay, that is where I got my 75 FSM.

The engine building sections in a Hayes manual are probably the most competent parts - not as good as an FSM, but often have most of what you need in there. Where the FSM really shines is details about the wiring, body panel fitment, stuff like that - and Hayes manuals often don't cover serious transmission repair, rebuilding parts that are often replaced, things like that.

I find that the Hayes manual leaves out specific details. I look at Hayes manuals as more of a maintenance guide than a true factory service manual. More like Cliff Notes for motorheads.

Consider a factory service manual as a text book and a Hayes manual as a suppliment to the text book.

Good luck with your rebuild and irratation issues. (My wife takes Midol for that.)

-
Back