Slant six 4 speed to small block 360

-

piercegwynne

Reaction score
Hello I have an 833 4 speed from my slant six duster which now has a 360 in it. My flywheel is a 122 tooth and I bought a 9.25 inch clutch kit. My question is will my flywheel and clutch kit fit on the 360. And as far as the bellhousing goes I haven't seen a 9.25 inch bellhousing does the bellhousing size have to be the same size as the clutch assembly or does that matter? Thanks!

pretty sure the bolt pattern on the flywheel from the slant to sb is different. my other concern would be the clutch. that clutch barely holds behind a souped up slant so i dont think it would live long behind a 360. sb bell housings as far as i know are all the same.

another thing to look at would be the balance. slants are neutrally balanced, im not sure if the 360 is or not.

The 360 is externally balanced.

Truly the best way to go about this is to get the proper flywheel for the 360 which is sold through MoPar and a bell housing. (There is an inexpensive scatter shield for sale here - $50) then get the clutch, pressure plate and linkages if need be. I do not know if the /6 linkages will work on the swap. I think it would but don't know for sure.

pretty sure the bolt pattern on the flywheel from the slant to sb is different. my other concern would be the clutch. that clutch barely holds behind a souped up slant so i dont think it would live long behind a 360. sb bell housings as far as i know are all the same.

Thanks for replying! When I went to oriellys to get the clutch kit their was a couple options in sizes. What I did was just measure my old clutch which was 9.25 so I just figured that would be the right size. But the lady asked me is it the clutch kit for a Duster 360. Does the size in clutch matter for fitting the transmission or does that size matter for the engine more? I think their was a 10 inch clutch and a couple more sizes they had. Which size clutch kit would be more suitable for my transmission and engine? As far as a flywheel goes I would need a new one it's sounding like. How many teeth on a flywheel do I need for the 360? Thanks!!

The 360 is externally balanced.

Truly the best way to go about this is to get the proper flywheel for the 360 which is sold through MoPar and a bell housing. (There is an inexpensive scatter shield for sale here - $50) then get the clutch, pressure plate and linkages if need be. I do not know if the /6 linkages will work on the swap. I think it would but don't know for sure.

Thanks for replying! So I'm pretty lost on the whole transmission conversion thing what would be a good flywheel to get that would last a while and not burn a hole in my wallet? And anything else I would need for this conversion not listed? Thanks!!

As stated above, MoPar sells the flywheel and a decent clutch/pressure plate kit w/throw out bearing can be picked up through Summit. Which one is more up to you and the engines power level and useage.

Some times, you need to pay the piper. You don't need race level stuff for the street. All manufactures make a stock, upgraded S/Strip and race quality stuff. A good street strip unit is kit much more expensive than a street replacement part.

What you are looking for is a 10 1/2'' bellhousing from a smallblk,they made them in alum and cast from the factory,318/340's some 360's,being you have a 360 which is externally balanced you need a flywheel to match or you will have serious vibration and harmonic issues that leads to engine failure sometimes pretty quik,like broken cranks, you can use a std over the counter 10 1/2'' clutch,pressure plate and throw-out bearing once you have obtained the correct flywheel..1st thing I would check is the back of your 360 crank to make sure it has the provision for a pilot bushing and if it doesnt you will have to have it drilled out and one installed[machine shop] for if you do not make sure this is in place 1st you will not get the trans to seat flush to the bellhousing properly[among other things],also your /6clutch fork will be too long for the 360 transplant,you will need one for a v-8 set-up specific to your vehicle,the shifter and linkage will all be the same providing it was for or with the car you're installing this into...this is not that hard to accomplish with a little effort and work and above all research it out or find someone to help you thats been involved with these things..you can search the web for info..Passon Perf,Mopar Perf, hopefully someone on here with a little more current hands on will chime in for its been awhile since I have been involved in the switch,but you can do it yourself no prob just get educated and know what you need to do and what parts you need to have on hand to accomplish your goal...your main issue here is the correct flywheel and pilot bearing and the right length clutchfork...dont be afraid to ask questions it's the only way to learn ,I'm old and decrepted and I still ask questions and am still learning [and relearning]thats what this site is all about is helping each other if we can...so git-er-done....

What you are looking for is a 10 1/2'' bellhousing from a smallblk,they made them in alum and cast from the factory,318/340's some 360's,being you have a 360 which is externally balanced you need a flywheel to match or you will have serious vibration and harmonic issues that leads to engine failure sometimes pretty quik,like broken cranks, you can use a std over the counter 10 1/2'' clutch,pressure plate and throw-out bearing once you have obtained the correct flywheel..1st thing I would check is the back of your 360 crank to make sure it has the provision for a pilot bushing and if it doesnt you will have to have it drilled out and one installed[machine shop] for if you do not make sure this is in place 1st you will not get the trans to seat flush to the bellhousing properly[among other things],also your /6clutch fork will be too long for the 360 transplant,you will need one for a v-8 set-up specific to your vehicle,the shifter and linkage will all be the same providing it was for or with the car you're installing this into...this is not that hard to accomplish with a little effort and work and above all research it out or find someone to help you thats been involved with these things..you can search the web for info..Passon Perf,Mopar Perf, hopefully someone on here with a little more current hands on will chime in for its been awhile since I have been involved in the switch,but you can do it yourself no prob just get educated and know what you need to do and what parts you need to have on hand to accomplish your goal...your main issue here is the correct flywheel and pilot bearing and the right length clutchfork...dont be afraid to ask questions it's the only way to learn ,I'm old and decrepted and I still ask questions and am still learning [and relearning]thats what this site is all about is helping each other if we can...so git-er-done....[/QUOTE

Ok, so I need an externally balanced flywheel for a 360 does it matter how many teeth it has because I've seen a couple like 143 teeth and 130 teeth flywheels? I returned my clutch kit for a 10.5" and am working on getting the bellhousing on eBay! Thanks!

They only come with a singular tooth count.

I'm looking at a 130 tooth flywheel that's 10.5" so as long as that bolts up to the crank will that flywheel work?

yes you will need 130 tooth 10.5 flywheel BUT it MUST have the correct balancing to work with the external balanced 360. just because it bolts to the crank doesnt mean its balanced correctly for a 360

something else that needs to be addressed is if you current transmission is an OD 4-speed or a straight 4-speed, that will dictate what bellhousing you will need OD= large bearing retainer whole in bellhousing non-OD= small bearing retainer whole.

yes you will need 130 tooth 10.5 flywheel BUT it MUST have the correct balancing to work with the external balanced 360. just because it bolts to the crank doesnt mean its balanced correctly for a 360

something else that needs to be addressed is if you current transmission is an OD 4-speed or a straight 4-speed, that will dictate what bellhousing you will need OD= large bearing retainer whole in bellhousing non-OD= small bearing retainer whole.

Ok cool thanks! Do you know how to find out what kind of transmission I would have I got the codes off of it but don't know how to decode it? Thanks much appreciated!!

Ok cool thanks! Do you know how to find out what kind of transmission I would have I got the codes off of it but don't know how to decode it? Thanks much appreciated!!

if you want post all the #'s off of the flat machined pad on the opposite side of the trans from the side cover the pad is roughly 1"x3" and has numbers stamped into it.
another way to tell what trans it is is by the front bearing retainer the bolt circle for the non-od trans is 3.7" and the outside diameter of the bearing retainer is 4.354". if it has a larger diameter retainer (diameter 5.125) its an OD and one dead give away if its an OD version is an aluminum case. post pics of the trans and i can prob identify it by a pic also. hope im helping you and not confusing you!

if you want post all the #'s off of the flat machined pad on the opposite side of the trans from the side cover the pad is roughly 1"x3" and has numbers stamped into it.
another way to tell what trans it is is by the front bearing retainer the bolt circle for the non-od trans is 3.7" and the outside diameter of the bearing retainer is 4.354". if it has a larger diameter retainer (diameter 5.125) its an OD and one dead give away if its an OD version is an aluminum case. post pics of the trans and i can prob identify it by a pic also. hope im helping you and not confusing you!

Ok I'm trying to figure out how to upload my pictures but apparently I can't even figure out that. I got the number off of it. It is PP8335241 and under that is 6G153477 I will try to get the pictures up

ok the last part of this # pp833(5241) is the date code which translates to wednesday dec.3 1975 so with that being said you have the OD version of the 833 since the last car production years for the standard 833 was 1974 im gonna say that yours is the cast iron case as i have one that is dated 5302 which is 2 months past your build date and it is still cast iron case i also have a date code 5757 and its all aluminum case. you will need to find an aluminum small block bellhousing with the casting # of 3743859 these were found in 75-80 cars and 76-80 dodge trucks. these will have the correct size bearing retainer whole opening of 5.125"

ok the last part of this # pp833(5241) is the date code which translates to wednesday dec.3 1975 so with that being said you have the OD version of the 833 since the last car production years for the standard 833 was 1974 im gonna say that yours is the cast iron case as i have one that is dated 5302 which is 2 months past your build date and it is still cast iron case i also have a date code 5757 and its all aluminum case. you will need to find an aluminum small block bellhousing with the casting # of 3743859 these were found in 75-80 cars and 76-80 dodge trucks. these will have the correct size bearing retainer whole opening of 5.125"

[ame]http://m.ebay.com/itm/350927652348?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1[/ame]

Darn I put in a bid on this bellhousing on eBay and it doesn't say anything about overdrive or that number soo would this one work at all?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/350927652348?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1

Darn I put in a bid on this bellhousing on eBay and it doesn't say anything about overdrive or that number soo would this one work at all?
after looking at those pics that is a 71 dated bellhousing and it has been modified to fit a larger bearing retainer but i cant tell if it has been opened up enough to fit the 5.125" retainer because they did make a 3rd size retainer which is 4.805" and to me this looks like the size it is opened up too.
here is a pic of what that ebay bell housing bearing retainer hole should look like... notice the beveled edge of the unmodified one compared to the ebay item... and notice how u can see the fork pivot sticking out into the hole of the modified bellhousing. i would retract my bid thats too much $$ to take a chance on it being wrong cause it is clearly modified!! and its not described as being modified.

Attachments

• small bell housing.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 257
after looking at those pics that is a 71 dated bellhousing and it has been modified to fit a larger bearing retainer but i cant tell if it has been opened up enough to fit the 5.125" retainer because they did make a 3rd size retainer which is 4.805" and to me this looks like the size it is opened up too.
here is a pic of what that ebay bell housing bearing retainer hole should look like... notice the beveled edge of the unmodified one compared to the ebay item... and notice how u can see the fork pivot sticking out into the hole of the modified bellhousing. i would retract my bid thats too much $$ to take a chance on it being wrong cause it is clearly modified!! and its not described as being modified.

Thank god I showed you! That's good to know, I will not be purchasing that bellhousing than. Do you know anywhere to get the bellhousing I need?

Thank god I showed you! That's good to know, I will not be purchasing that bellhousing than. Do you know anywhere to get the bellhousing I need?

glad to help in any way thats what this site is all about!! i would just post a wanted ad here on the site, or keep an eye out on ebay for the casting # that you need. im sure there has to be a few laying around that some of our members would be willing to part with. brewers sells them but i think they are around $250.

-
Back