-
Status
Not open for further replies.

whitepunkonnitro

Reaction score
Rating - 98.2%
162   3   0
Contact seller
Ok, so here's the story. I picked up a parts car 72 Swinger with a Slant, thinking that I'll probably end up giving the motor and trans away just so as not to tie up space. The car itself has been off the road since 1991, parked in such a way that the back of it was allowed to pretty much rust off. Back to the engine....
So I'm looking around under the hood today, and noticed that there were lots of new fastners, gaskets and unhooked lines and doodads, chalk marks and labels. So, out of curiosity, I pulled the valve cover, and much to my surprise, this thing is machine shop fresh...never started. Oil in the crankcase is right out of the bottle. Looking at things a little closer, I noticed that the trans seems to have had the same treatment. Oil is cherry red, no hint of smell at all.
So, what's it worth? Damn if I know, but I'm gonna take a crack anyway, and say $500 skins for the pair is a damn good price. I'm super tempted to find a home for this powertrain and make myself a nice daily driver, but I figured I'd list it here first and see if there are any bites.
Engine is located 30 miles south of Nashville Tn. I can pull it and deliver within a couple of hundred miles for gas money. PM me if interested...pics are gonna be of an old dusty looking slant, but if you want 'em I'll take 'em.
Thanks FABO!

Yes, and the external appearance of the engine show it..BUT, under the valve cover, there is zero trace or rust or oxidation, and the engine rotates easilly and smoothly by hand.

thats not good; that means the cylinder walls were never coated with engine oil like they would have with oil pressure; as well the crank has been sitting in the same spot for over 20 years

I don't know about you, but each of the several hundred engines I've built over the years have all gotten a coat of ATF on the cylinder walls, and assembly lube on the bearing surfaces....I'm gonna assume whoever built this one did the same thing. Motor spins easilly by hand and has plenty of compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back