slant six bellhousing pattern

-

jerame_c

Reaction score
Hello, I have a friend with a pile of random transmissions and bell-housings and he is willing to give me one for my slant six, but I don't know the measurements for the engine to bell-housing bolt pattern and dont want to pull my engine just to find out. Can anyone get me these measurements so I can try to identify a proper bell-housing?
Thanks all,
Jerame

Here's a pic of a slant bellhousing I found somewhere. This one is for a manual tranny, but the flange to engine is the same on all of them. Of course, you can't measure bolt distances on a picture, but you could print ot out and take it with you. Notice mostly the starter motor placement, which looking at the pic is high to the right. It's a different place then on other Mopars.

Attachments

• slant6bell3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,328
Thanks this will help a lot. that starter location should be a dead giveaway since none of the V8's could do that.

Also seperate bellhousings are always for manual trannys. The most common automatic for a slant is a slant 6 904, or it's variants (but NOT from a smallblock V-8 which won't fit) and the bellhousings are an intergal part of the auto's (one piece). There was also a 727 for the slant found mostly in trucks and vans, but I haven't seen one in a long time. There are different hole sizes in the back of the manual bells for different trannys. I don't know those sizes but someone here might.

Also seperate bellhousings are always for manual trannys. The most common automatic for a slant is a slant 6 904, or it's variants (but NOT from a smallblock V-8 which won't fit) and the bellhousings are an intergal part of the auto's (one piece). There was also a 727 for the slant found mostly in trucks and vans, but I haven't seen one in a long time. There are different hole sizes in the back of the manual bells for different trannys. I don't know those sizes but someone here might.
Yes, getting one for the correct transmission front bearing retainer is very important. You'll also want to get one that fits your flywheel and has the correct clutch linkage mounting bosses or you'll be fabricating linkage from now till Christmas.

-
Back