Slant six buzz

-

rapidtransitric

LX/LC platform a body swap pioneer
Reaction score
this was a topic on my facebook this morning. a joke or wishful thinking? fact fiction or just plain bs?

Eric Sheil
11 hrs
For the people who don't know Chrysler is going to bring back the slant six with fuel injection.
For the people who don't know Chrysler is going to bring back the slant six with fuel injection.
Like · · Share
Fred van Dijk and 89 others like this.

Raymond E. Hooper Nothing would our live it
11 hrs · Like

Gary Offill Always thought they should have put that in the Dakota instead. I would have been curious to see how it would have performed with fuel injection.
11 hrs · Like · 1

Mark McLellan I want that intake
11 hrs · Like · 1

Harry Miller Lol
11 hrs · Like

Gary Offill I've seen the setup before, not sure where you can buy it. Offenhauser maybe?
11 hrs · Like · 1

Randy Shadoan Can't quite make out the name on intake?? I want it, I want it.....
11 hrs · Like

Gary Offill Clifford.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_ZMTRbFNOU"]79 Volare Duster Multiport Fuel Injection Slant 6 six \ - YouTube[/ame]

79 Volare Duster Multiport Fuel Injection Slant 6 six \
http://www.slantsix.org http://www.geocities.com/gao54...
YOUTUBE.COM
11 hrs · Like · 1

Gary Offill http://www.cliffordperformance.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc...

Clifford Performance: Mopar 225
CLIFFORDPERFORMANCE.NET
11 hrs · Like · 2

Thomas Phetteplace Dont tease us ..ha ha ha
11 hrs · Like · 2

Tl Willoughby This is freaking sweeeeet!!! The best of both worlds, dependability and durability
10 hrs · Like · 1

Arlen VanderHoff I couldn't wait till the 318 got fuel injection let alone the slant 6!!! That would be awesome!
10 hrs · Like

Antonio Pernia As cool as it would be for them to bring back the slant, I'd bet good money they would also do something stupid like wrap a Neon around it.
10 hrs · Like · 1

Darren Fox They'll **** it up for sure!
10 hrs · Like · 1

Johnny Burditt That's awesome we have a few of them
10 hrs · Like

Tl Willoughby Arlen VanderHoff: But you've got to admit that it would be a thoroughly kickass Neon with a fuel injected 225
10 hrs · Like · 2

Mark McLellan Don't you think it would be a little heavy for a Neon lol
10 hrs · Like

Tl Willoughby If nothing else hopefully they will have it set up to where all you'll need for the motor is the fuel injection intake, fuel rail w/injectors and the true dual exhaust headers. Then all that's left is an O2 sensor, high pressure fuel pump and adjustable injection controller module.
10 hrs · Like

Manic Mechanic if its sequential port fuel injection AND it has a cross flow head AND it has a more manageable stroke to bore ratio. im in
10 hrs · Like

William A. Watson II If only!
10 hrs · Like · 1

Thomas Phetteplace Whats wrong the bore/stroke ratio? Its survived this long and it proved its self. Big bore short stroke engines are torqueless
9 hrs · Like

Manic Mechanic and long stroke small bore engines naturally asperated, are dogs
9 hrs · Like

Thomas Phetteplace The slanty was ANYTHING but a dog.in 61 NASCAR had a baby grand series . The Corvairs came out and lapped 98 MPH.Ppl said cant beat that! The dumpy falcon came out lapped at 101 ppl SHOCKED! The Vals w/R.Petty driving one lapped at 145 MPH. (Dumpy falcon was built by Holman & Moody too) .Its called the leaning tower of power for a reason.
9 hrs · Like · 4

Thomas Phetteplace Oh PS...NASCAR never ran that series ever again. Too embarrassing for Bill Frances GM to have their heads handed to them.
9 hrs · Like · 1

Thomas Phetteplace Did you know the slanty has almost the same thermal efficiency as a Diesel?
9 hrs · Like · 2

Thomas Phetteplace The Ford 300 is big bore .It doesnt have the torque you think for an engine its size .
9 hrs · Like

Manic Mechanic for light duty , they are great. not so much if you ask them to actually work. i have several "window" blocks to account for this
9 hrs · Like · 1

Mark McLellan Inline six diesels have awesome torque more torque then any other engine
9 hrs · Like

Thomas Phetteplace Dodge in 1962 ran a series of 2.5 ton stake trucks over half a million miles LOADED for durability tests. Did fine. Granted they didn't have the 70 MPH interstates we do now but it did prove durability.
9 hrs · Like · 1

Gary Offill Slant 6 heads flowed good as a hemi. The guy who designed the slant 6 also designed the 2.2/2.5 engines.
9 hrs · Like

Thomas Phetteplace Mark McLellan thats due mostly to design and not due to the fact is Diesel filed. Diesels have a narrow power band needing alot of gears .The new diesels are "Hi-torque rise" meaning your power is off idle to mid range . (A gas engine devlopes more power as RPMs increase. ) Hi Torque rise Diesels (road tractor) only rev to about 1800 RPM and develope max useable HP/Torque around 1500 RPM.
9 hrs · Like

Thomas Phetteplace Yes Gary Offill there is a lot of Slanty heritage in the 2.2/2.5 family. The Chinese bought tge rights to turbo 2.5 and is now installing them in Chinese home market AUDI sedans
9 hrs · Like · 1

Mark McLellan I was just comparing , the in line motors have more torque then V diesels
9 hrs · Like

Thomas Phetteplace The AUDI 4 door sedans from the 90s.IIRC
9 hrs · Like

Thomas Phetteplace All 6s are torque monsters . A inline 6 is also naturally balanced too.(in multiple of 6s..6-12 etc..)
9 hrs · Like · 2

Tl Willoughby Gary Offill: and those were some pretty durable engines as long as you didn't overheat them.
9 hrs · Like · 1

Trevor Cole I liked my slanty in my 68 truck a lot,but i like my 440 a lot more,lol
9 hrs · Like

Gary Offill I have a 2.5 in my Dakota, knocks and slings oil everywhere.
9 hrs · Like

Tl Willoughby @Gary Offill: maybe but it's still going down the road right?
8 hrs · Like

Gary Offill Yep its stilll going. The problem was some blew the headgasket on it and I think it egg shaped a cylinder and whats creating the blow by problem.
8 hrs · Like

Thomas Phetteplace When gas goes back to $4.50 a gallon the slant 6 will still be a daily driver and the 440s won't. 18 MPG beast 9 any day
8 hrs · Like · 1

Tl Willoughby @Gary Offill: hmm well on your next timing belt and water pump change you might think about pulling the head, get it resurfaced flat again and go ahead and replace all of the value stem seals and in theory you should be good to go for a good while longer.
8 hrs · Like · 1

Gary Offill I had the head reworked when I replaced the headgasket. When it dies, it gets a v8.
7 hrs · Like

Bradley Hanna I love the leaning tower of power mopar rules
7 hrs · Like

J.r. Kincl They are not bringing back the slant.....

Willem Weertman was the designer of the slant 6 (also worked on the flathead six and the Aussie hemi six). I got to have lunch with him a few years ago (lives about 15 mins away from me) and he said they were ...See More
7 hrs · Like · 1

J.r. Kincl Then there was also this......
J.r. Kincl's photo.
7 hrs · Like · 1

Robert Rosenbalm I have a 225 slant six id love to have the fuel injection parts..
7 hrs · Like

J.r. Kincl This with an Offy 4bbl intake would probably be the best bet for a daily slant. We are thinking about it for my wifes daily 66 Dart.

http://www.atomicefi.com/home.aspx

Atomic EFI - Atomic makes EFI easier than easy
Atomic makes EFI easier than easy, faster than fast!...
ATOMICEFI.COM
7 hrs · Edited · Like · 1

Robert Rosenbalm Cool...
7 hrs · Like

Bert Jobe Scott Welsbacher theres the trans plant for your swepty.
3 hrs · Like · 1
Tripp Richards

Attachments

• slant six.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 309
The engine in the last photo was mine. That intake is the one on the Volare' now. My friend from PA owns the Volare' and did all the work himself. We both drag race slant cars too.His called the "Ruster" runs 12o's with no power adders and a carb.

Very doubtful that Fiat will be bringing the slant back.

Very doubtful that Fiat will be bringing the slant back.

I agree, by the time they made it efficient enough to pass all the emissions and fuel economy requirements, they'd be better off starting with a fresh slate. Not to mention the reason it was dumped in the first place, it can't be made FWD. I'd also heard rumors that they were planning on a turbocharged version of the pentastar V6, much like a EcoBoost competitor. I would put more substance in that over the slant.

-
Back