Slant six carb opinions/help

-

Doug.S

1964 Dart More Door
Reaction score
I have a 1964 Dart with a 170 slant 6 and A904 auto. The car currently has a Holley 1920 that has been rebuilt at least one time before I rebuilt it. I can’t get a good idle below 800-900 rpms. I can’t even screw the idle screw down lower as it is not currently touching anything. I believe there are some bent items in the geometry that just are not worth trying to fix.
I digress. So on to the opinion of others question. I have 2 Carter BBS’s sitting on my garage shelf. Let’s assume for arguments sake they are both in the same usable condition. One is numbered to be installed on a 1964 Dart/Valiant with a 225 and auto trans. The other is numbered to be installed on a 1965 Dart/Valiant 170 and auto trans. Again I am putting this on a 1964 170, but I don’t know about the internal differences between the two carbs that may or may not affect the drivability of the car. 225 carb on a 170? Wrong jet size? Etc. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Doug

Had same problem last year on my 225 slant with a 1920 on it, replaced my choke thermostat and problem solved, I found a new NOS one on eBay for around $30 works awesome now

Check for vacuum leaks, it may not be the carb at all. If you dont care about originality find a super six setup.

Check for vacuum leaks, it may not be the carb at all. If you dont care about originality find a super six setup.
How would a vacuum leak hold the throttle open?

Thank you for your replies.
So the throttle isn't necessarily being held open as I believe the throttle plate in the throttle body is fully closed the way it should be. The choke is a recently installed electric version that was recommended to me by slantsixdan. It was installed correctly and works well. The rest of the choke geometry is correct and not binding. Really the carb needs to come off and be ultra sonic cleaned and rebushed, etc. The throttle shaft is loose and the play alone is terrible, probably a vacuum leak there causing the need for more rpms and fuel to run right.
Really my question was which of the two Carters that I have should I use. I dug through the service manual this morning and found that the only difference in the two Carters I have are the size of the step up wires, and some adjustment differences. Everything else is identical. So I believe I will go with the Carter that was intended for the 170 for now and build the one that was originally a 225 carb. When the first Carter dies, I will install the second one. I was trying to find out if I should stick the carb with the smaller step up wire (more fuel flow) on there now because of the low quality fuel today. More fuel to compensate for the ethanol content etc. Thank you again. Doug

-
Back