Slant Six - exhaust manifold hardware?

-

Badvert65

Long Time Mopar Nut
Reaction score
OK, I am confused about the end hardware for the Slant six exhaust manifold. I see pictures of the install with the slotted part of the nut facing away from the washer, but I have removed plenty of them with the slotted part of the nut facing the washer. Which way is this really supposed to go - slots up or slots down?
IMG_0845w.jpg

Last edited:
Slots down toward the washer. The factory nuts are not a "normal" locking nut. They don't lock until the slotted portion fits into the taper on the washer, then the washer taper squeezes the nut onto the stud,

slots up, that area kind of clamps on to the stud.
Incorrect sir. The slots fit into the bevel part of the two brass end washers and help in locating the exhaust manifold in the correct place.

Here is the correct arrangement with the correct nut and washer. These are correct for the two ends of the exhaust manifold. Take special note of the washer. It has an internal bevel that the castled part of the nut installs into. There are other similar washers, but you must use these on each end of the exhaust manifold. They install as shown.
NUT AND WASHER1.jpg

NUT AND WASHER.jpg

Referring to the attached photo, the pair on the right is directly off of a slant six in a 1983 Dodge truck. The washer has a straight center while the nut has an extra tapered edge to fit into the washer.
The one on the left is aftermarket, the nut is straight (no taper) and the washer has a bevel in the center for the nut.
I am just wondering if the aftermarket one will work as well as the OE setup because a new factory style nut is impossible to locate.
IMG_0847w.jpg

Last edited:
Referring to the attached photo, the pair on the right is directly off of a slant six in a 1983 Dodge truck. The washer has a straight center while the nut has an extra tapered edge to fit into the washer.
The one on the left is aftermarket, the nut is straight (no taper) and the washer has a bevel in the center for the nut.
I am just wondering if the aftermarket one will work as well as the OE setup because the factory style nut is impossible to locate.
View attachment 1715996366
Not impossible to locate if you find used. That's why I get all the manifold hardware I can find.

Oh and if that original washer has a straight unbeveled center, it's the wrong one. The originals had the beveled center, like the aftermarket. I have several sets of originals. @slantsixdan has a factory bulletin posted around here somewhere that shows exactly how they're supposed to be installed with what hardware. I tagged him, so maybe he'll post it here.

Here is the correct arrangement with the correct nut and washer. These are correct for the two ends of the exhaust manifold. Take special note of the washer. It has an internal bevel that the castled part of the nut installs into. There are other similar washers, but you must use these on each end of the exhaust manifold. They install as shown.
View attachment 1715996326

View attachment 1715996328
Thanks never knew that thought they were like on aircraft. Learned something new today.
Slant 6 Exhaust Manifold Washers

Last edited:
I was lucky. Was at Mopars at Big Daddy's quite a while back and bought a NOS exhaust manifold with all attaching hardware for $20 from Big Daddy himself.

I am just wondering if the aftermarket one will work as well as the OE setup because a new factory style nut is impossible to locate.

I don't think the aftermarket one will work nearly as well. The tapered part of the OE nut has a good amount of meat there to grip inside the washer. The aftermarket nut will basically just grip on the 90* edge of the slotted part of the nut with what looks to be like 1/15th of the surface area.

No idea if it'll work or not work but I don't think it'll work as well.

Then again I've been using a regular nut and washer for 20 years and it hasn't failed me yet. Most important thing is to not over torque.

OK, I am confused about the end hardware for the Slant six exhaust manifold. I see pictures of the install with the slotted part of the nut facing away from the washer, but I have removed plenty of them with the slotted part of the nut facing the washer. Which way is this really supposed to go - slots up or slots down?
View attachment 1715996250
Probably already answered but the net fits into the washer it's to help lock it.

Bolt the intake and the exhaust manifold together have them milled or surfaced as a pair,bolted together. Then go and buy some ARP oil pan studs for a Pontiac v8 389 or whatever those have a rounded head fine threads and corse threads where they screw into the head... they will be fullproof clamp and never break off and you don't have to worry about this 50-year-old brass crap or nuts freezing to studs and breaking off in the head 'which is what happens after a 100k'... that's history once you change to the ARP set. Step into today..and leave 63yr old problems in the past.

-
Back