Slant six info

-

65cuda44

Reaction score
Just got. 65 barracuda slant six from original owner,engine is .60 out already,head is cracked,looking for info on interchangeability of the slant six,been told 60-67 only blocks? As I understand this is a solid lifter engine,will the later 225 engines bolt in to the existing mounts and if so.? What else am I in store for ? The Trans is a 904. Thanx

They changed the size of the crank register so you would need the later flex plate and either a custom torque converter or a matching later transmittion and torque converter.

I think the blocks will all bolt up the same. The engine brackets changed to spools in the 1970's, but just re-use your original brackets. As mentioned, get the spacer ring to put in the crank register if a later crank (1968+ or so). A member here (Charlie_S or such) makes and sells them ~$20.

The early 70's blocks are supposed to be strongest, but check slantsix.org. Original for 1965 is one w/ 3 staggered core plugs ("freeze" plugs). In the mid 1970's they changed to a cast crank. Some racers prefer it since lighter and they say it is still strong enough even for a turbo or nitrous. The slant's lower end is akin to the 426 Hemi and even shares some parts.

They dropped the spark plug tubes ~1980's. Those are called "peanut heads". Other than less oil leak concerns, I don't think any advantages. A big downside is you must then remove the head to replace lifters. If you want to use one of those heads, I recall some changes are required for oiling, especially if you use the hydraulic lifters.

Finally, there was an aluminum block in early cars, which was the original intent for the slant, but I think it was dropped before 1965. You can't get head gaskets for those and most were corroded beyond repair. Otherwise, one would be cool.

1967 or earlier engine is a direct change out, by using the 66 and older "A" body oil pan and oil pickup, and engine brackets/mounts. 68 and newer engine would also need a 68 up flexplate, and an adapter bushing in the end of the crank Don't recommend changing the trans to a later trans, unless you have no choice. The 65 trans is cable shifted, and has a flange driveshaft hookup, and a different speedo connection, and neutral safety switch connection. It can be done, but is a little involved.

PS: If you use a 68 or later engine I have the adapter bushing available. Send a PM.

The motor mounts changed to spool type in 73. Keep the ones you have on the 65 now.

The cylinder head got hardened seats in 72. Very good for unleaded fuel and DD usage.

The 904 on the /6 does not interchange with the V-8. Starter motors mount in different places.

IIRC, the 65 uses a trunion joint on the forward end of the drive shaft. If you go to a '66 or newer transmission, be sure to get a yoke and a driveshaft appropriate to the wheelbase and rear end type of your Barracuda.

Engines can go either way as far as lifters are concerned. Remember with hydraulic lifters, non-adjustable rocker arms should also be used.

-
Back