Slant Six Limiter Plate

-

carfreak6970

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I wanted to post this on slantsix.org but for some reason my computer wont load the engine part of the forum.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a supplier of distributor limit plates for limiting the mechanical advance on a slant six distributor? The one listed below is for the chyrsler V8's

Mopar Distributor/Ignition Timing Limiter

I am trying to find anyway possible to not have to weld the slots on the distributor that is in there now.

Thanks for everyone's insight

I asked the supplier if these plates worked on the slant six distributor and was told that they did.

I asked the supplier if these plates worked on the slant six distributor and was told that they did.

Well would it fit, possibly, would it work, maybe. But Since the slant 6 has two less cylinders than an 8, wouldnt the timing marks on that plate be off by some degree?

Well, I bought 2 of them. The way I look at it, if the slots are not correct, I can modify that plate rather than my distributor. Worst case, I ruin a cheap item, not my distributor.

Just a quick update. This limiter plate does fit the slant six distributor, quite nicely I might add. I can post some pictures later today. I haven't used it yet, but I think I'll give it a try.

Nice to see somebody actually have the balls enough to order something up and verify it works.......even if it is a small piece. Most people just flap their gums about it. Nice job.

I want to measure the disk slots to see how they correspond to distributor advance slot dimensions.
I have this chart from slantsix.org
Cam Crank Slot length
6° 12° 0.340"
7° 14° 0.357"
8° 16° 0.375"
9° 18° 0.390"
10° 20° 0.405"
11° 22° 0.420"
12° 24° 0.435"
13° 26° 0.447"
14° 28° 0.460"
15° 30° 0.475"
16° 32° 0.490"
17° 34° 0.505"
18° 36° 0.520"

The number of cylinders shouldn't matter, but the actual design of the weights in the distributor might throw the numbers off. (pivot points for the weights may be different.
In any case, if it fit's in the distributor it should be easy enough to mod if needed for the correct advance amounts)
Good that you are verifying that.

Well would it fit, possibly, would it work, maybe. But Since the slant 6 has two less cylinders than an 8, wouldnt the timing marks on that plate be off by some degree?
The plates just limit advance regardless of how many cylinders the engine has. I would imagine the distributors are quite similar inside.

Here is the plate in my slant six distributor.
IMG_0763a_zps6uryeqyh.jpg

IMG_0765a_zpsbns0mvjt.jpg

The slots measure as follows:
  • 10* .330"
  • 12* .350"
  • 14* .368"
  • 16* .392"
  • 18* .410"
Not really certain how directly these numbers relate to the previous chart.
Might just take some trial and error.

Why do you have the advance weight pins on the round holes? That will give zero mechanical advance.

Why do you have the advance weight pins on the round holes? That will give zero mechanical advance.
I just did that for the picture, kept the plate centered and all the slots visible. I can't really try it out until I get the rest of the engine together (head is in the machine shop).

I just did that for the picture, kept the plate centered and all the slots visible. I can't really try it out until I get the rest of the engine together (head is in the machine shop).

It hit me after I asked the question you probably did it to show all the different slots in the picture. Thanks for doin this. It has contributed a great deal.

I appreciate the heads up on that!! I didnt even think about how the thin steel could slice into those bushings. Thanks for the information

-
Back