Slant six noob

-

SkaggsMan

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I am looking forward to interacting with all of you. Let me start by saying I have a 65 Dodge Dart GT, and yes it has more than it's share of problems.
I have fixed alot " well not me, a shop did it" So here is a list of what I had fixed so far:

Brake conversion kit:
New manifolds:
New exhaust:
New Starter:
Replaced the instrument cluster for one off EBAY "now I know how fast Im going but everything else does'nt work"
New supsension:
New air shocks:

BAMN there goes 4 grand right there :angry5:

Now some more problems

It over heats like crazy, I get maybe 30 mins on the highway doing 70 and bam my radiator spewes.
I need knew carburetor linkage. " But Im thinking about doing a throttle cable with a kick down kit"

I caught wind of a 64 valiant at a scrap yard, hopefully pick at it this saturday.

will upload picks of my baby this weekend aswell so you all can see what Im working with.

first off welcome to the site of sum of the smartest mopar people in the country and second I think you should take some of your money go to sears buy sum tools then start asking for help there are allot of people here to walk you threw any trouble you have.and third we like pictures..just saying..............Artie:eek:ops:

Welcome to the site. When you own a Mopar, you need tools. Take on the projects yourself and save some money. JMO

Welcome!!
use the search on this site-- many of your problems have been asked before.

Your heating problem is very common to these old cars:
1. first get an after market gauge so you know the temp of the engine
2. you say your engine spews after a short hi way drive? check the "T" stat for correct operation. (simple way is to see if coolant is moving in the radiator when car is at operating temp)
I would flush the cooling system-- your car probably needs this anyway --
do this before putting in a new "t" (so as not to clog it) or water pump-- do a search many have ways to flush the system at home.

Post up the pics & have fun ,Lawrence

I have a 1965 Dodge Dart Convertible:
Re-built engine
Re-built Trans
new brakes
new shocks
new gas tank and sending unit
new alternator
new voltage regulator
new itres and wheels
new ball joints
new tie rod tip
wheel alignment
all new parts for re-built engine- fuel pump, distributor, etc....

looks I receive when driving my baby down the road -PRICELESS

after checking your t stat for water flow(I usuly take the stat out for this) put a bottle of liquid dish washer detergent it (cascade)put the bottle in and run it for a week or two then back flush.to do this you take the t-stat out take that top hose and put a water hose in it turn it on (the water hose) and run it until clear water is running.I sometimes do this twice if the system it bad.hope this was explained good I'm not to good at that........this will clean your hole system..........Artie

Welcome. I have you bracketed with a 65 Dart GT 273 and a 64 Valiant 225. Ditto on fix it yourself. A shop will bleed you quick. Don't blame them. Restoring a car takes much effort, and would only return $2/hr for your labor. Most of us do it as a hobby (maybe a few $2 wh--es). I watch Wheeler Dealers a lot and figure they make next to nothing for their labor (3 people, untold hours off-screen). The plus side is the knowledge you gain lets you fix any car. I save a lot doing little jobs on my new cars, that would cost $$$ at a shop, and even a few biggies in rebuilding the transmission in both my 2 newer Mopars.

Post more about your brake conversion. Sounds like front disks. Some kits are >$1K.

Re overheating, all good advice. Since it overheats on the highway in 30 min, you have serious blockage. As a kid (maybe 1967), I recall our ~63 Valiant station wagon slant boiled over on the interstate about 30 min from home. A road worker came over, opened the cap, looked in while the engine ran, and said "no water flow". He removed the thermostat and found it stuck shut. Told my dad he didn't need one in FL and put it back without. We continued our trip with no problem, and knowing my dad he never put a thermostat in (I would). Hope your problem is as simple.

If you decide to change the radiator, run a strong flush through the engine first, with the old radiator still in. My 65 Dart had a torn radiator, so I hooked up hoses to bypass it and ran the flush direct thru the engine. That really concentrates it and heats up fast. I put a stainless screen in the top hose to catch debris (very little).

I got a new radiator at Autozone ($200), for a 72 Dart (recall), the oldest listing in their book. I now think for a slant since the lower hose is on the passenger side with 1.5" tube, which should match your slant. For my small block, I had to change to the later alum water pump and use a rubber bushing to match its 1.75" inlet. I had to drill a few holes in the radiator flange to fit the Dart, but otherwise fit fine, other than it sticks a bit farther out from the car's frame. I found a plastic shroud that bolted right on. Many people have installed an aluminum radiator, which fixed their over-heating. Shop around. I got a new alum radiator for my C-body on ebay for $80. For the lower hose, I recall Dayco 70776 but check my posts for the real PN. If it doesn't have one, make a spring from stainless wire and put in the lower hose so it won't collapse under suction (could be your problem). You might need a different upper hose for the 72 Dart radiator, but that is easy to fit.

My 64 Valiant has an unknown radiator, but it works. Could be for a 70's Dart, or maybe even non-Mopar. If you ask, I can post photos.

Hey. I'm down the road by the coast, Charleston. There's a guy selling parts from his 67 Dart GT up in Summerville, I posted the CL link on mech. parts for sale. Good bunch of guys, and gals, here on FABO. Check out Slantsix.org as well. They are more in tuned with the "Leaning tower o' power" with our 225s. Looks like you picked up a Facory Service Manual, look for a Motors Manual as well for that year, it's like a Chiltons but better. If you got any questions, there are more than enough folks here to steer you in the right direction.

-
Back