Slant six not starting.

-
Reaction score
I just recently aquired a 64 Dart And I have replaced the cap, rotor, points and condenser, and rebuilt the carberator. It is still not starting but is trying. I have good compression and spark. Im at a loss right now and have done all I can do. Any suggestions??

Are you for sure getting enough gas to it? I had a crack in a line that was aerating the gas and not letting it pump properly.

Was it running before you tuned it up? If so maybe you got some wires crossed? Or just as simple as the timing. maybe the cap is not on quit right. Tell us more about the car.
Oh and I see you are a new member, WELCOME to the group. I am sure more will give their ideals as well. Again welcome.

Thanks for the Welcome hemipar. The guy who had it before me had it running but it was running rough he told me. When I got it it was not running. Im not sure what happened but something has to be wrong. I will run the gas lines today and check and make sure they are solid. Thanks for all the input guys!!

If all ells fails remove the valve cover and make sure your valves are set correctly or see if there is a bent push rod or even jumped out of position,
I have had problems with a rotor and cap matching up and, Look at your old cap and rotor real close for a good match and make sure it is on all the way, look at your wire in the distributor and make sure it is not grounding out on the insulator. give it some choke and see if it try's to run better, if it does a vacuum leak could be your trouble , Keep us updated and keep at it you will get this figured out

maybe mis-adj points... also when i install new points ur timing will change so timing could also be an issue

Find TDC on #1 and check rotor position. Do not trust dampner do it manually. That will tell you if you are in the ballpark with your timing.

Well after a day of taking a break im still working on the old girl. Tonight im gonna check a few more things, but I was wondering what the compression should be on the cylinders??

Im gettin around fifty on all cylinders. but I did put a coil on off my brother in-laws sixty eight dart and it back fired so im thinkin i may be gettin closer. More work to come tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted on how things are goin. And again thanks for all the help!!

I'd be sure to check the valve adjustment. Loose valves can cause low compression readings. People tend to totally ignore it on these cars & it's not unusual to find them so far off that it's surprising they ran at all. It's really amazing how tough the slants are.

that and also did u test the cyl wet or dry? if they are dry spray a little oil in there and try...

Update on the ol 64. We worked on it quite a bit this weekend and now it is back firing. I am thinking that the timing chain is wore out. Does this sound about right??

If the previous owner had it running and it,s now backfiring,it,s good chance the chain has skipped a tooth knocking your timing off.Have you taken a timing light to it?It,s worth a try to see where it,s at.Good luck.

Havent been on in a while but I kind of have an update on the dart. We found out that the timing chain was wore out on it so we put a new chain in dialed everything in and th car still wont start and im am stumped yet again. I have no clue what is wrong with this engine and im running out of things to fix. If anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it. thank you!

Havent been on in a while but I kind of have an update on the dart. We found out that the timing chain was wore out on it so we put a new chain in dialed everything in and th car still wont start and im am stumped yet again. I have no clue what is wrong with this engine and im running out of things to fix. If anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it. thank you!

Since you have done all of the above, it should at least start.
Are you running fuel from the gas tank? If so, what condition is it in and is the gas stale? If its questionable, run a bypass can with fresh fuel to the pump.

mite be off a tooth also in the dizzy when u stabbed it... its real easy to on these. crank ur dist clock wise (retarding) all the way and see it it gets better

I just put some fresh gas in and the tank has been cleaned and everything but it could be dirty in the lines. And when u turn the dist about half way it tries to start but still nothin. Im thinkin maybe it could be the fuel pump but I am getting gas.

I have done the above and still nothing. My brother in law had stuck his finger in one plug hole to find tdc and with no spark plug in it fired and shot his finger out of the hole. after this happened we have dialed the timing in and it wont fire. We checked compression last night and after all that happened we have lost compression and it is barely there. We have done all we know to do and have no clue where to go from here.

I have done the above and still nothing. My brother in law had stuck his finger in one plug hole to find tdc and with no spark plug in it fired and shot his finger out of the hole. after this happened we have dialed the timing in and it wont fire. We checked compression last night and after all that happened we have lost compression and it is barely there. We have done all we know to do and have no clue where to go from here.

You might want to invest in a leakdown kit. This should tell you if the motor is just worn out and needs to be rebuilt. The kit would be a good investment for diagnosing future engines as well.

-
Back