Slant six power steering pump on a smallblock

-

lee g

Reaction score
I read an article once about power steering pumps on slant six was different than those on a small block car and these changed the feel of the steering box. I want to say the article was titled power down or something of that sort. I am at a point to where I need to decide if I want to spend the $$$ on sending my steering box to firm feel or steer and gear for a rebuild or buy a local part store rebuilt one and use my slant six power steering pump (which I planned on anyway). Also is the power steering pump pulley the same on a slant six as a small block? I am going to run a almost factory 360 with J heads and a little larger than factory cam but I already went with new larger torsion bars and plan on sway bar in the front with one eventually in the rear and running Mustang bullitt rims. Want a decent ride and steering to play in. No track time just street.

Sorry, the name of the article was pump it down and it was in a mopar action magazine. If you tried it let me know if it makes a big difference or not

IIRC, the article outlined how you can reduce the pressure using different sized washers. I also believe that there are a few members on board that have done this mod. I think a few washers would be cheaper than a new pump. Just my opinion.

All the different pumps had different operating pressures . The pump from a slant six engine will have different pulley diameter and offset. Mounting brackets different also.

Thanks for the info. I have the brackets off of a small block for my power steering,A/C, and alternator.

-
Back