slant six rebuild parts source??

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
where does everyone get bearings and rings and rebuild stuff for slant sixes??

I tried Jegs and summit and only SBC showed up :protest::protest:

Ebay has some of the cheapest engine kit prices buy one from another state and you don't pay sales tax and also look for free shipping. I just bought one for a 2.9 ford for $450 to my door it included pistons, rings, bearings, cam, lifters, timing set, oil pump, gaskets and freeze plugs.

Brian

I got main and rod bearings on eBay (since I wanted some odd .001 undersize mains that are not made anymore) but were on eBay, the timing chain from NAPA, and the cam bearings and pistons and rings through my local machine shop from EngineTech parts. For the /6, the EngineTech pistons and rings are made by Hastings. You can get the Felpro gasket sets in a lot of places.

(I get nothing from Jegs and Summit for /6 stuff; the MSD .8 ohm cold ballast resistor is close to the OEM part so might be the 1 useful part from them!)

thanks for all the replies.

I never thought a few years ago that I would ever have the desire to rebuild a slanty because the supply of them seemed never ending...........but now a days it seems a good runner is getting hard to find. They don't make them anymore and they are anywhere from 30 to 55 years old so I guess no time like the present to save what is still around.

For the /6, the EngineTech pistons and rings are made by Hastings. You can get the Felpro gasket sets in a lot of places.

I'm still assembling my 225. The engine kit came from Enginetech. The bearings are King, the moly rings are Hastings, and the pistons are Silv-o-lite. (+.040) The gasket set is not Fel-pro but my man says he never has a problem with them. My machine shop guy has been doing this since 1962 (!) and has a direct account with them and that's what he told me when I asked. My crank is uncut, just polished, and they did not have std mains available in the kit. They allow him to delete up to 3 items from a kit so we deleted the main bearings and oil pump. He bought std mains from another source and I'm going with my old oil pump for now. I checked my mains w/ Plastigage and they are at .002.

Rockauto has individual parts if you prefer to piece it together.

Rani has fallen under the /6 spell.

I'm currently going through this dilemma seeing as I'm replacing small things here and there on mine piece by piece. I'm either going with a full rebuild or hemi swap.

Welcome to the world of "SLANT SICKNESS". There is something about them,kinda gets under the skin,fun little buggars they are.

Im weighing the pros and cons because I could just buy the entire rebuild kit for the slant, get it rebuilt and add a cam in with the process and swap to a better intake/exhaust manifold setup and a 2 or 4 barrel carb and still have all that extra money for suspension and brakes. I can do all that while still not hitting ne where near the budget for the hemi swap. One thing about the kanter kit is it doesn't seem to come with a water pump. Id be trying to go with their deluxe kit seeing as it has the most items in it for a complete overhaul. Where is the best lead to go for aftermarket intakes/headers for the slants?

There are few places to buy slant intake/headers. Clifford Research is one.They have iffy customer service and you may have too wait a while for them to ship because of minimum order before the manufacturer will make them.I have never had a problem with Clifford. You also can get Hooker headers and Offenhauser intakes form Jegs and Summit.E-Bay for some too.If buying new look to spend about $2000 to $2500 for parts.Then what ever the engine builder charges are.You can go as mild or wild as you like.

I think if I stick with the slant it would have to make some power in order to keep me happy for sure. it doesn't need to be a drag racing beast but more pep in its step for sure. I'm going to browse through some of the build threads for some slant 6 cars and see what they have for ideas on what direction to go for mine. I know the hemi swap will be somewhere between $5000-$10000 to pull off properly and cleanly. I just don't want to be the typical v8 swap if I ever ditch the slant.

Look at the thread comments on increasing compression and mild valve work.....

Water pumps can be bought at any parts store.

Be careful with engine kits; easy for shopping but you need to know what comes in them ADN what you really need, or you will waste tons of $$. Go find the machinist who you will work with on this before any such purchase. See if he can get the EngineTech kits; I think they allow you delete some parts so you can get better ones separately. The main contents of their kits are good for a basic /6, not excessive power.

I can't see what is in the Kanter kits. At that price, it is a terrible buy IMO; it is way too much in cost for what is in there, and for what you will need; their deluxe kit is more than I spent total including machine work! For examples: You rarely need new pushrods or rockers for the /6; any good machinist will sort out any worn valves and just put new ones in where needed; you can re-use keepers; don't buy lifters without the cam; and the oil pump kit may or may not fit your pump....there are 3 depths of pump rotors for various /6 pumps. This kit looks like a very bad buy.

You would be better off getting a rebuilt oil pump from Doug Dutra (Doctor Dodge over on www.slantsix.org); he will take care of any gear issues.

Thanks for the info. I will have to look into it a little more and actually go see a shop about rebuilding it for me. Cant do any real heavy lifting for the next 6 months.

You have a slant? In what?

I'm still assembling my 225. The engine kit came from Enginetech. The bearings are King, the moly rings are Hastings, and the pistons are Silv-o-lite. (+.040) The gasket set is not Fel-pro but my man says he never has a problem with them. My machine shop guy has been doing this since 1962 (!) and has a direct account with them and that's what he told me when I asked. My crank is uncut, just polished, and they did not have std mains available in the kit. They allow him to delete up to 3 items from a kit so we deleted the main bearings and oil pump. He bought std mains from another source and I'm going with my old oil pump for now. I checked my mains w/ Plastigage and they are at .002.

Rockauto has individual parts if you prefer to piece it together.

Rani has fallen under the /6 spell.

Thanks for the info. I will have to look into it a little more and actually go see a shop about rebuilding it for me. Cant do any real heavy lifting for the next 6 months.
Ow, sorry about the physical limitations; hope things heal up! Spend some time over on www.slantsix.org; the info there is very in-depth on the /6, including guys regularly racing /6's.

I just made an account over there. Id like to build a nice hopped up slant 6 if its enough fun to clench my thirst for now. That way I can keep all the extra money and put it towards rebuilding the trans a d upgrading the brakes and suspension system too. Now i just have to find a good builder around here.

These guys have brand new exhaust manifolds for the slant 6 for $180 + shipping and had one to my door in 4 days and comes with a bag full of hardware....

http://www.silver-seal.com/

They may have other engine parts...

-
Back