Slant six space

-

Dave Lucas

63 valiant signet convertable 200
Reaction score
My distributer cap at the top is about a half inch from the inner fender, passenger side. It seems a little too close for me or is this correct? Is there a way of tilting it towards the driver side just a little? And another thing, I have a new single barrel carb and a new fuel pump. The tank, sending unit and lines are new. Why would it be starving for fuel? I can't seem to get more than half of the fuel filter full when it idles. Please, any thoughts.

You care to tell us what vehicle? Car? Truck? Go cart? Lawn mower? Year, make and model please.

My distributer cap at the top is about a half inch from the inner fender, passenger side. It seems a little too close for me or is this correct? Is there a way of tilting it towards the driver side just a little? And another thing, I have a new single barrel carb and a new fuel pump. The tank, sending unit and lines are new. Why would it be starving for fuel? I can't seem to get more than half of the fuel filter full when it idles. Please, any thoughts.
well, it sounds a little close, but the whole engine is leaning that way. it's going to be tight. As RRR said, i cant tell you anything without knowing specifics. My duster had about 1 1/2" inch clearance if i remember right. check the motor mount.

Yep, we need more information. But, you may have a motor mount that is collapsed.

Yep, we need more information. But, you may have a motor mount that is collapsed.
Most likely. when the motor mount collapsed on mine, the fuel pump became the mount and the distributor cap was being squished against the inner fender.

I'll post a picture of Vixen's right side in a bit. We have to go into town for a little while.

The tank, sending unit and lines are new. Why would it be starving for fuel? I can't seem to get more than half of the fuel filter full when it idles. Please, any thoughts.
Is it actually starving for fuel (as in engine stalling out), or are you just worried that the filter has some air in it? If it's just the air bubble concerning you, it'll still fun just fine- it's still pumping fuel through the filter (you said it is idling, right? So it is getting fuel). If it's going to drive you nuts, mount the filter upright and the bubble will go away.

Here you go. Kitty wasn't as ready as I thought. lol This is a 1964 Valiant 2 door seeeedan with a 225.
DSCF1715.JPG

Is it actually starving for fuel (as in engine stalling out), or are you just worried that the filter has some air in it? If it's just the air bubble concerning you, it'll still fun just fine- it's still pumping fuel through the filter (you said it is idling, right? So it is getting fuel). If it's going to drive you nuts, mount the filter upright and the bubble will go away.
I'll try to get the air bubble out but I thought that the carb would such the air out. The filter is at a 45 degree angle. Do you think that it's sucking air maybe? Idle is fine but when I accelerate it sounds like I have a fancy cam in it.

I'll try to get the air bubble out but I thought that the carb would such the air out. The filter is at a 45 degree angle. Do you think that it's sucking air maybe? Idle is fine but when I accelerate it sounds like I have a fancy cam in it.
It's just a trapped air bubble. Won't hurt anything, but if it bothers you, mount the filter vertically and the bubble will go away.

Ya, that's what I have, not much room! Thanks.
You just get used to it man. I can have my distributor out and back in, in ten minutes. Fuel pump swap in under 15. They're really easy to work on.

I think that I'm getting new mounts, we'll see if that helps. New is always better than 58 yrs. old.
ok, but are the mounts the problem?
did you get under the car and see a collapsed mount?
it could of been a broken weld on the mount ear, and replacing the rubber part could do nothing.
never take a suggestion as fact, especially since I don't even know anything about the car and have not seen any pictures of what you are trying to explain.

Your distributor looks a little close to the inner fender, but nothing awful. I have four slant vehicles, and none of them has a ton of room in this area. As far as the fuel filter goes, some air in it is of no consequence. All of mine show only partially filled ever, and they run fine.

63 Valiant Signet 200 convertible, Slant six w/ push button shift.
Dang, right under your sig. All those parts on the right side (from the rear) of the motor are designed to be easily serviced 'cept maybe setting the point gap. The cap comes right off, just unclip it and it'll pop right off and you can pull it up over the rotor. Now change the oil filter without making a mess? Thats gold!

When I first got my 64 225 running, I used a new see through gas filter. It never truly filled up enough to eliminate the air bubble. The engine ran perfectly so I just ignored it.

Later, after I started putting miles on it during hot summer days, it started showing symptoms of heat soak. The factory original fuel line had cleaned up nicely and looked brand new. But I removed that and did the SlantSixDan recommended fuel line reroute and used a metal can filter for safety.

Now it runs better than perfect.

Your fender to distributor gap sounds about right. People forget that the early A-bodies have a narrower engine bay than 67 and newer. It may seem tight but compared to modern front wheel drive vehicles, we don't have it so bad.

Your distributor looks a little close to the inner fender, but nothing awful. I have four slant vehicles, and none of them has a ton of room in this area. As far as the fuel filter goes, some air in it is of no consequence. All of mine show only partially filled ever, and they run fine.
Where's the picture of his?

-
Back