Slant six start problem. Bad Ballast?

-

lgarbz

Reaction score
I have a 74 duster with a 3.7l slant six.
When I start it up, it will run for about 3 seconds and then stutter and shut off. After starting it about 3 times and giving it a little gas for about a minute it will run fine, and when its up to opperating temp it will start no problem. Are these symptoms of a bad ballast resistor? And would the resistor have anything to do with dim dash lights and slow wiper motor operation at idle speed?

Logan

if it was the ballast then it would shut off as soon as ye let go of the key. sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me.

Any ideas on where to start?
Will one of the carb adjustments allow more fuel without affecting the rpm?

could be anywhere. go over the fuel system from front to back. check for pin holes in the steel lines, bad rubber hoses, fuel filter, does the carb need a rebuild?

I'll check all the lines and hoses. just replaced fuel filter. I'm pretty sure it doesn't seem to be leaking. Carb could probably use a rebuild, but I want to swap it for a 2bbl becuase I'm gonna go for a super six set up, so I'd rather not waste my time rebuilding this stock one.

sounds like a carburetor choke issue to me because there are two separate mechanisms for cold and normal operating temperatures...check both make sure they're adjusted properly and not sticking. It's a fuel problem not a spark problem a ballast in my experience either works or doesn't.

I'd say it's a carburetor problem too. Look inside, it's probably full of dirt or you may have a heavy (saturated) float which is kind of common.

I've had similar problems on mine due to carburetor icing on the idle circuits. It only happens when ambient temps are below 50. Once the manifold is warm the problem goes away. It is amplified on my car because I have a 1/2" adaptor plate with a BBD carter on it.

a carb kit is 15 bucks. choke or float issues, sounds like its flooding.for electrical issues check out the charging threads ,great stuff over there

Is there an easy way to clean my carb without using carb cleaner?
I heard that can damage the floats and other small parts.

Also, in regards to getting a 2bbl carb sor a super six set up:
I picked one up today. It's a Carter and I posted a thread with pics so someone could help me identify it.

The thread is posted here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1694648#post1694648

Thanks guys.

Choke problem, been there before i swapped to the super six.

The 318 carb will work on the slant but i ended up using smaller jets in it when i ran one.
You will need to change the way the choke linkage works, i found some articles on slantsix.org that helped greatly in my quest for more information when i was swapping.
http://slantsix.org/articles/articles.htm

-
Back