Slant-Six to LA small block conversion.

-

savoy413

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some questions about converting my 1966 Australian Valiant from the slant-six to a 273, 318, 340, 360 small block. I have a reconditioned 904 torqueflite which has been used with my slant-six. Can this torqueflite be used behind a small-block V8?

Also, can I use the six cylinder radiator?

Can I use the six cylinder torsion bars or are they bigger for a V8?

Can I use the six cylinder drive shaft or does it have to be modified?

Will the 9 inch front drum brakes be okay for a V8?

Any other advice on what has to be done for this swap would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The transmission will not bolt to a V8. The radiator and 9 inch brakes are both inadequate unless you plan on cruising around slowly on cool days. Your brakes will scare you once they get hot. The torsion bars will be ok but an upgrade to a slightly fatter bar will not hurt. Don't forget the clearance issues on the driver's side .
manifold. Check oil pan clearance to centerlink. Make sure you use the correct early fat mounts! Good luck and find some brakes and a radiator. Better to go overkill on both!

Agree with the above, as far as similarities to U.S. go; the transmission and radiator will be the issues- your driveshaft should work. But, since the Aussie Val is RHD, I'll leave speculation on the minutia to our members down under. Things like the throttle linkage, steering box and column clearance for the RH (driver's side for you) exhaust manifold, and engine mounts on the (slightly) different K frame, and how your RH steering column shift linkage connects to the left side control levers of a 904 may be issues. I do know that the 273 required use of a remote oil filter to gain steering column/box clearance, and since all LAs are similar, they would likely all need the same. But since these were factory offered, they should be easily dealt with by comparing to a factory 273 Val and using factory-type parts.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have some questions about converting my 1966 Australian Valiant from the slant-six to a 273, 318, 340, 360 small block. I have a reconditioned 904 torqueflite which has been used with my slant-six. Can this torqueflite be used behind a small-block V8?

Also, can I use the six cylinder radiator?

Can I use the six cylinder torsion bars or are they bigger for a V8?

Can I use the six cylinder drive shaft or does it have to be modified?

Will the 9 inch front drum brakes be okay for a V8?

Any other advice on what has to be done for this swap would be appreciated.

Thanks.

As stated, bellhousing bolt pattern for transmission is different so that will not bolt up.

/6 radiator is definitely too small especially for warmer climates.

/6 torsion bars are soft even for your current engine. I strongly recommend 1.03" bars.

Current driveshaft should fit if you continue using a 904 transmission, someone else please confirm though...?

9" front drums are dangerous on anything unless you drive like a grandma in a place with no hills or traffic, bare minimum upgrade to 10" front drums or at best go to 1973-up front disc brakes.

I imagine you're looking to swap a V8 for more acceleration and speed in which case any extra money you're willing to spend to upgrade your suspension and brakes will be worthwhile. Stock base components for a 1966 car were just adequate enough for the expectations of the time which were far less than today.

-
Back