slanty FI

-

Gnome

Reaction score
so i was just wondering and i hadnt seen it (i could of missed it) but has anyone tried to use jeep 4.0l full injection parts?

fit the throttle body assy onto a modded slanty intake that is drilled for injector bosses.
maybe rearrange the injectors to fire the way they need to and/or tricking the computer to fire when they need to?

just one of my 'stuck in traffic' thoughts on the way home....

Check over on slantsix.org A guy named Greg did this on his Aspen using Jeep throttle body parts and a Megsquirt controler.

read and book marked... thanks darter6. trying to compile a list of needs and wants... i want to keep it simple and inexpensive. i ave an extra 1bbl intake lying around to mod up and nothing but time

I assume you don't mean using the Jeep intake manifold, since unlikely it would fit.

I got a cheap aluminum intake to play with (E-beam welded type) and thought I would try FI someday. I started thinking that any V-6 FI rail with equal-spaced injectors should match the slant's intake runners. I got a set from an Intrepid off ebay and they do fit. Since the slant's runners get narrower as you go back, you can find a spot as long as the donor doesn't have wider cylinder spacings. Since I can't weld aluminum, I will try just fitting the injector tips in small holes in the intake. If doesn't work, I may weld or epoxy in bungs, or use one of the braze-type sustitutes. I got a throttle body from a 4 cyl Mopar (Stratus I recall), which is bigger than my 1 bbl opening, so I'll open that up a bit. It has IAC and TPS.

If you use a Jeep controller, you don't need to worry about injector phasing. That adds minimal value, if you read the megasquirt manual. Indeed, batch fire is fine for MPI. I'll probably use a Holley Commander 950 ECU initially, though would like to design my own ECU if life allows. Megasquirt seems a bit kludgy for MPI and DIS.

On slantsix.org one of the guys has been working in a ford 300 EFI set up. the 96 300's had sequential injectors and the computer was able to self regulate for different cams. I don't remember which post, it been a while ago. I do always look for 96 fords with a 300 ever since.

I plan to inject my slant eventually and have been gathering parts based on this route: http://www.slantsix.org/articles/dibiase_efi/efi-conversion.htm

The GM computer is already kinda close to our 3.7L as far as fuel maps and expected VE's. Or if you want to dive deeper, there's lots of diy info for burning your own eprom. So far I have a Clifford 4 bbl. intake, all the OEM stuff from '85 Olds 3.8L, new injectors, and fuel rail for around $300 so far. Doing the machining myself. The next big ticket items are the fuel pump and regulator. That leaves $50 - $75 for misc.

-
Back