Slap Stick style shifter question

-

NewToMopar

Reaction score
My 65 Barracuda (with what I think is a 904 transmission) has some form of slap stick shifter in it. The question is how do I find reverse, neutral and park. By messing with it a lot I have first, push forward second, push forward and third. Downshift process, pull back real hard, bang second, pull back real hard again, first. I think I found reverse once by pushing down on the shifter and pulling back. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

Factory shifter or aftermarket? Post a picture of it.

That sounds like some sort of ratchet shifter or "ratshit" as Inkjunkie would say.:D

I pull up on the shifter and forward to get over the lockout and into reverse.

How are we supposed to know what kinda shifter you have?

Ok, took several pictures standing on my head, in the storage area. This is the only one that was focused. Says Hurst on the shifter handle.

Attachments

• 65 Barracuda Shifter.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 240
That's a Hurst Promatic 2, commonly referred to as a ratchet shifter.

You have to pull up on the handle to get past the lock out gate.

Go to the elHursto website. They have the destructions Be sure to read the specific section on Mopars

Operational instructions are the last few pages

[ame]http://hurst-shifters.com/pdf/3838500.pdf[/ame]

That's a good link.

Up and back for reverse. Back and down for "D".

yep a ratshit,,! shifter take it out and throw it as farrrrrrrrr as possible I have seen them blow up good motors!!!!!!!! a good used factory shifter will work very well and look better to..Artie

I is all coming out eventually, 4 speed overdrive unit already sitting waiting to go in. But need to be able to get it out of shop and on trailer to get the lifters/cam replaced.

-
Back