Sleep Study...

-
I have woke up in the middle of the night with the cat on my chest and Tara (my wife) thinks that the cat has saved my life a few times by waking me up in the middle of a stop breathing event as they are called,She witnessed it first hand that the cat purposely jumped on me and then I started to breath again LOL-that's a story to tell---Good luck,I hope they gave u a machine that has a humidifier on it,When I was trying them that one seemed to be better but I still woke up and would throw the mask across the room---Steve

Smart Kitty....My machine does indeed have a humidifier....

Really beginning to doubt this.....am having panic attacks....Am going to try a different mask....

I am not sure how yours s set up..but mine is in low pressure until needed...hope this helps..btw, I know you are on a cocktail of meds but perhaos a pill or two of noratripoline will help...

I am not sure how yours s set up..but mine is in low pressure until needed...hope this helps..btw, I know you are on a cocktail of meds but perhaos a pill or two of noratripoline will help...

Mine is set to a steady pressure. It has a "panic" button that cuts it half, over a twenty minute period it slowly builds back up to full pressure. I want to try another mask. Hopefully on Friday I will be able to see the therapist. Have an appointment to see my doc on Friday. Going to ask him about switching to a different drug, currently on Trazadone. In the past anything that knocked me out has either given really wild hallucinations.....or left me in a serious fog the next day. Can't help but wonder if having more oxygen in my blood would change this. When I was on Valium Ernie was not here. It did knock me out...and that is when the fun started. I "thought" my neighbor Jim was driving up and down the road on one of those lifts they use to put stuff up on a roof..at about 40 miles an hour. I also "thought" he drove it alongside my garage, where the truck and trailer were parked....never mind the fence behind it. Next day several of the curtains were opened up from me looking out the windows....so I went as far as getting out of bed to see if it were real. Jim was not even home that week...he was at work.

Ian...Just took a look at the manual for machine, a Remstar Auto A-Flex....it can be set up to work like you described. Will mention this to Stephanie, my therapist...

Diagnostic portion....
1) Sleep Stages: (min)
Total Recoding Time 90 Total Sleep Time 78
Sleep Latency 9.9 REM Latency 53
Duration of N1 Sleep 2.5 Duration of N2 Sleep 60.5
Duration of N3 Sleep 0 Duration of REM Sleep 15
Sleep Efficiency 87%

Respiratory Events
Total Respiratory Events 70
Total Apneas 0
Apnea Index 0
Obstructive hypopneas 63
AHI 48.5
Respiratory effort related arousals 7

Oxygen saturation while awake on room air 95%
Minimum oxygen saturation 75%
Greater than 90% for 44%

Titration
Total sleep time 309
CPAP Pressure 5-9 cm
At a CPAP of 9 cm the AHI was .06

Getting switched to auto on Friday. Spoke with my therapist today, she said that up to a few months ago she hardly ever set some one up on a fixed pressure.....

inkjunkie...the panic button to reduce pressure...That is what I run on all the time until an event happens. Sever being the worse designation, I am on that line.

Thank You Sir....just had flash backs to my retainers.....

Am now on a variable, 5-15 pressure and have this mask....

http://www.resmed.com/ap/products/quattro_fx/quattro-fx.html?nc=patients

Friday was the first night with the new mask/settings. Managed to use it for 5 hours with humidity set to 3. Trying to figure out what humidity setting is best I turned it down to 2 last night....big mistake. Went to bed and had the mask on by 10:45. By 1 I was awake, with the worst sinus headache I have had in a long time. Along with the head ache came the feeling that my eyes were going to pop out of my head. Tried putting it back on and going back to sleep but that just was not going to happen. Tonight I will be going up on the humidity control instead of down.

Not sure I like the head gear with the new mask. Never feels all that secure on the top strap......Will be seeing Stephanie of Friday of this week.....may be trying yet another mask....

Thank You Sir....just had flash backs to my retainers.....

Am now on a variable, 5-15 pressure and have this mask....

http://www.resmed.com/ap/products/quattro_fx/quattro-fx.html?nc=patients

Friday was the first night with the new mask/settings. Managed to use it for 5 hours with humidity set to 3. Trying to figure out what humidity setting is best I turned it down to 2 last night....big mistake. Went to bed and had the mask on by 10:45. By 1 I was awake, with the worst sinus headache I have had in a long time. Along with the head ache came the feeling that my eyes were going to pop out of my head. Tried putting it back on and going back to sleep but that just was not going to happen. Tonight I will be going up on the humidity control instead of down.

Not sure I like the head gear with the new mask. Never feels all that secure on the top strap......Will be seeing Stephanie of Friday of this week.....may be trying yet another mask....

here is the mask i use and i really like it.

http://www.resmed.com/ap/products/mirage_fx/mirage-fx.html?nc=patients

also ask them if your cpap has a auto setting for the humidity. like you at first i was always having to turn my humidifier up or down during the night.some times even woke up in the middle of the night with water hitting me in the face.so the place i got the machine from told me over the phone how to set it up for auto mode. no more waking up with water hitting me in the face. Mopar65

some times even woke up in the middle of the night with water hitting me in the face

You are kidding me ? Because the house is dry due to the weather, i cranked it up to 5...not any condensation even in my hose..

You do keep the unit below the level of your face, correct ?

ian.

You are kidding me ? Because the house is dry due to the weather, i cranked it up to 5...not any condensation even in my hose..

You do keep the unit below the level of your face, correct ?

ian.

yes i am not kidding you and yes the unit is lower than my face.don't know maybe its because i turn down the heat to 63 when i sleep.

here is the mask i use and i really like it.

http://www.resmed.com/ap/products/mirage_fx/mirage-fx.html?nc=patients

also ask them if your cpap has a auto setting for the humidity. like you at first i was always having to turn my humidifier up or down during the night.some times even woke up in the middle of the night with water hitting me in the face.so the place i got the machine from told me over the phone how to set it up for auto mode. no more waking up with water hitting me in the face. Mopar65
That is the same mask I use love the mask hate the head gear...I have the nose pillows on order and got fitted by the resp.Dr. and when I was there it was like there was no restiction at all...I have my machine in the drawer of the bed and it is great everything is in there and it also keeps the hose dry...You can bearly hear the machine which is the respironics auto pro...I tried sleeping without it last night and woke up all stuffed up and had a sore/dry throat put my mask and machine on and slept like a baby...I couldnt believe that I was that use to having it, and couldnt sleep good without it...It is like you only have to exhale and breathing in is effortless...Love it...Bill:cheers:

That is the same mask I use love the mask hate the head gear...I have the nose pillows on order and got fitted by the resp.Dr. and when I was there it was like there was no restiction at all...I have my machine in the drawer of the bed and it is great everything is in there and it also keeps the hose dry...You can bearly hear the machine which is the respironics auto pro...I tried sleeping without it last night and woke up all stuffed up and had a sore/dry throat put my mask and machine on and slept like a baby...I couldnt believe that I was that use to having it, and couldnt sleep good without it...It is like you only have to exhale and breathing in is effortless...Love it...Bill:cheers:

I tried the nose pillows when i was doing the sleep study and for some reason i didn't like them. for me it was hard to breath back out. i think i have the same capa machine you have. I go in for my 1 year check up using the capa this Friday. after you use the nose pillows for a while let me kn ow how you like them.

yes i am not kidding you and yes the unit is lower than my face.don't know maybe its because i turn down the heat to 63 when i sleep.

So do we...I hate sleeping in a warm room...does you have the heated hose ?

ian.

better ? no, just different. mine starts off low and auto waits for an incident then kicks it up...then cycles back.

I am puzzled why many of the other people have the air pressure so high at the beginning.

ian.

better ? no, just different. mine starts off low and auto waits for an incident then kicks it up...then cycles back.

I am puzzled why many of the other people have the air pressure so high at the beginning.

ian.

well when i first started using the capa machine. i had to push the lower pressure button setting. but now i guess i am so used to it, i jut put the mask on at full pressure and fall a sleep.

The wife has told me about getting a face full of water once. Our machines are on tables just below the height of the bed. Can't help but wonder if putting them lower might be helpful. I don't think my machine will control the humidity on it's own. I will take a look thru the manual.....

While I was waiting for the wife to get done with her infusion the other day I read the manual that came with the mask. It states not to use any oils, mentioning eucalyptus, for cleaning purposes. Said something about potentially weakening the mask and to avoid the inhalation of it. So perhaps when Stephanie said to not put it in the reservoir she was correct....

They told me to clean it with vinegar and water..And to change the water daily with distilled water only...And on the mask use Non-alcohol wipes to clean daily...Bill

-
Back