slick decision

-

MoparMcK

Reaction score
I am looking at switching over to slicks from my drag radials next season. I am tired of the inconsistency of the DR. I have a 72 Demon with a low deck 512 backed with a 4 speed and 3.91s. Flywheel HPTQ is 563/620. What would be a good go to slick for my setup? I would like to stick to a radial. So I do not have to switch my front runners. This is a street/strip car.

Also, it currently has SS springs and comp engineering shocks. Goal is to possibly change over to a Caltrac setup or at least upgrade the shocks.

radial slicks don't work on stick cars, once they spin, don't recover bias ply will work better. just food for thought

It’s not your tire. It’s your chassis and clutch. Ditch the SS springs, get a set of Assassin bars so you have some adjustment, 4 GOOD double adjustable shocks and an adjustable clutch. If you can’t afford an adjustable clutch then get a clutch tamer.

You have a bunch of stuff that is obsolete and then you have a clutch and radials. Fix that before you ditch the tires.

I fit 10.5 x 30 Radials on our Demons.
The radial are quite a bit narrow than a bias.
We do have offset hangers on the bracket cars.
The radials with Cal Trac work fine for us even with a
4 spd or transbrake. Our suspension is very well tuned though.

Mickey Thompson (Now owned by Goodyear (Our Sponsor) make
a great bracket radial that lasts forever.

The radials do not recover as fast if they spin = But by then you have
probably lost the race if you spin!

Our 71 Duster 340 with Thermoquad/Stock Compression/Stock Head cc
on ports run High 9's @ 130 with 10.5/30 Goodyear Radials in good air when
we need it to.

Last edited:
First, you have a LOT more motor than my little 408. My avatar car runs in the 11.30's so far with more tuning to go. It has CalTracs with split-mono leafs and Calvert 9-way shocks. Bias slick is a 28/10.5W-15. Front tires are M/T bias ply. Footbrake car with an 8" converter that stalls right at 5000. It hooks very well...so long as nobody left a puddle, this combo really hooks hard and just leaves.
On the street, I switch the slicks to Street SS E/T radials and have NO issues with the bias tires up front. I had these E/T radials at the track in Columbus at the Nats this year. Spun hard once and hooked hard once. Nope, think I'll stick to bias slicks - after all, it's bracket racing and consistency is key!
FWIW...

Lots of the small tire no-prep races specify a 10.5x28 non-w, as maximum tire. That's what I would run, in a bias slick. A radial slick might be faster (slightly) but I'll bet the bias is more consistent in a stick car.

A 10.5 Bias will not fit an A Body that is not tubed
even with offset hanger. It is about 1 1/2 to 2 wider cross sectional.
A 9.0 Bias wil fit with offset hangers. A 9.0 Radial will fit with stock hanger
location while a bias MAY but you better be perfect on offset and careful on
return roads.

To see a 9.0 x 30 Radial on a Demon or Duster or two =

Google: John Irving Drag Racer

If you go with a bias slick, get a stiff sidewall if you can. I’ve never had any issues mixing radial and bias.

A 10.5 Bias will not fit an A Body that is not tubed
even with offset hanger. It is about 1 1/2 to 2 wider cross sectional.
A 9.0 Bias wil fit with offset hangers. A 9.0 Radial will fit with stock hanger
location while a bias MAY but you better be perfect on offset and careful on
return roads.

To see a 9.0 x 30 Radial on a Demon or Duster or two =

Google: John Irving Drag Racer

Thanks John. I know your cars now. My Uncle Ron knows them and you fairly good I believe. As you let him run one of yours one year in Vegas and he won!

My car is mini tubbed and the springs are relocated. I currently have a 10" wide wheel with 5" BS under it. I don't want to go larger than a 28" tire. I have been told I will need to trim the front side of the wheel opening to fit a larger tire.

I have always thought it is not good to mix radial and bias tires. Sounds like that has changed.

Thank you for your input.

I fit 10.5 x 30 Radials on our Demons.
The radial are quite a bit narrow than a bias.
We do have offset hangers on the bracket cars.
The radials with Cal Trac work fine for us even with a
4 spd or transbrake. Our suspension is very well tuned though.

Mickey Thompson (Now owned by Goodyear (Our Sponsor) make
a great bracket radial that lasts forever.

The radials do not recover as fast if they spin = But by then you have
probably lost the race if you spin!

Our 71 Duster 340 with Thermoquad/Stock Compression/Stock Head cc
on ports run High 9's @ 130 with 10.5/30 Goodyear Radials in good air when
we need it to.
Please describe what you did to fit a 30" tall tire in the wheel wells of your Demons. I'm trying to shoehorn a 29.5 on my Duster without cutting up the openings too much.

Thanks in advance.... Bill

I'm not GTX John, and I obviously can't answer for him, but I can tell what I did. I have a 62 Savoy with the stockrear axle location unfortunately biased to the front of the opening. When I replaced the stock springs with ss springs, I redrilled the front mounts to move the whole rearend back one inch.
I do NOT know if that solution would work on your A-body.

Please describe what you did to fit a 30" tall tire in the wheel wells of your Demons. I'm trying to shoehorn a 29.5 on my Duster without cutting up the openings too much.

Thanks in advance.... Bill
Most people space the rear end back 3/4 inch to an inch

Last edited:
Most people space the rear end back 3/4 inch to an inch
I moved mine back 1/2” and can’t go more without redoing my driveshaft. I only have 1/4” in front of the tire so I’m going to end up trimming about 1/2” and I’m only running a 29” tall tire. I want to hear how done are running 30’s.

I moved mine back 1/2” and can’t go more without redoing my driveshaft. I only have 1/4” in front of the tire so I’m going to end up trimming about 1/2” and I’m only running a 29” tall tire. I want to hear how done are running 30’s.
Are you good at body work? That wheel well opening stuff isn't all that difficult. I forgot the terminology of that procedure but the end product on a duster looks really nice.

28/10.5W-15 on my avatar 72 Demon. CalTracs w/ split mono springs. I have nearly identical approx. 1" clearance to quarter both in front of and behind the rear tire.

Or.....jack that sucker up 70s pro-stock looking.

28/10.5W-15 on my avatar 72 Demon. CalTracs w/ split mono springs. I have nearly identical approx. 1" clearance to quarter both in front of and behind the rear tire.
Yeah, that’s easy. Stuffing a 29 or 30” tall tire in there is different.

295/55R15’s which are 28” tall and 11” wide on a 15x10 wheel easily fit in the wheel well of my duster.

IMG_0988.jpeg

Last edited:
Now a 38" tire on a Duster...hmmmm....

I posted just so people would know that with a 28" and 1" clearance, you could go to a 29" but would be at 1/2" clearance. A bit tight for my liking hence why I stayed with a 28". And since it hooks hard, figured I didn't need any more contact patch.

p.s. Can't wait to hear whatcha run with that car!!

p.p.s. From that pic, you clearly own too many cars!!!! You should just give one to me to keep for you!

-
Back