Slicks

-

Duster72340

Reaction score
What tire and wheel combination would be good for my 72 duster?
original 340 4-speed car. stock 8 3/4" with 3:23 sure grip. (small bolt patern axles)
stock spring location with super stock springs.
I may put 3:91 gears in it.
Basicly how big of a slick will fit under my stock wheel wells?
Back spacing? 14" or 15".
Wanna get this baby to HOOK !!!

i have my springs moved in 3/4", with 275/60/ 15

demon new 005 (640x427).jpg

demon new 010 (640x427).jpg

NHRA limits the stock classes to a 9-inch slick and no wheel well or axle modifications. There are a lot of Dusters running in the stock classes, so without a sure recommendation, it seems that would be a good place to start. I can say though, that without changing your gears, there is no point in considering slicks until you do. You combination will not have enough grunt to launch the car from a dead stop. You will however, be able to identify the weak link in your drivetrain. You may get it to "hook" with a soft compound street tire and some experimentation with air pressure. L8r.

Jim

You don't need a gigantic slick to hook that car. I'd go 15" wheel because there are more tire options. Assuming its an auto, you're going to need more gear and/or a converter to see any benefit.

26*8.5 or so should be fine and fit with no issues with the correct backspace wheel.

Remember, if you have a slick, you have to have a driveshaft loop.

IF you go with a DOT type tire (ET Street/ Quick time Pro, etc) its important to look at the actual measurements because the sidewall will state a larger size than the tire is. One benefit to running a DOT slick is that the rules are looser regarding loops and the like (but can vary from track to track).

I like to run shorter slick/less gear if possible, so I can run a taller tire on the street to make the gear more liveable.

-
Back