slight emergency. Need fast response

-

triggerjay

Reaction score
Hello, I am working on a 66 sport fury, (I know, not an a body). we pulled out a 318a, and are trying to install a 440 rb. problem is, we have the valve covers touching the firewall, and cannot get the oil pan to clear the k-member. The oil pan we have on the motor is supposed to be the correct one for the swap we are doing. Does the tranny have to be off the motor to get itto drop in? I am out of ideas. The dimensions from back of motor to motor mounts is the same between both motors... Im clueless

Jason

SHOEMACHER ENGINE SWAPS MADE EASY, the K members are different, from la to rb , you need to get motor mounts from these people , or others who have made the conversion kits.
100_0285-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I think he has a 318 poly not a 318la i may be wrong though. I have not done it myself but i have been told by a few different people that a bigblock will go right in place of a 318 poly if that is true you should be fine. Justin

B/RB engines will not bolt to A/LA mounts or K members without swap mounts. The 318 Poly is an A engine, not a B/RB and was not available in this country in 1966 in a passenger car. With the mounts and K member you have you can bolt in a 273, 318, 340, 360, or any early Hemi with mount ears on the side of the block. To bolt a B engine to what you have you will need mounts from Schumacher, make your own, or find and swap a big block K member. Sorry 'bout that.

In a B body and an E body the same K member is used for big and small block motors. Are the motor mounts bolted BEHIND the lugs on the block?

Sorry for the slow response. We had the correct motor mounts, and correct oil pan. The motor coming out was in fact a 318A, not LA. Right after I hit the submit button on my post, the guy I was working on the car with, called me back into the garage. He got the motor to slide into place. It just turned out to be a geometry issue. It had been a long day, and I was tired, and was rushing things too much. It is the dudes only car.. so you see why I felt rushed. Problem was the 727 tail shaft had to be jacked up, to level out the motor. We were using a load leveler on the cherry picker, but could not get enough leverage to bring the tail shaft up high enough to get the motor to slide back. It was almost a sickening feeling, after all the homework we had done on the oil pan, and motor mounts, for it to seem like it was not going to fit. Anyhow, Here is a video for your viewing pleasure of the 440 in, and running, and a quick snapshot of the car.. Thanks for all the replies, and sorry it took so long to get back on here! :
1001.jpg

Triggerjay

Now in another recent thread someone asked "pull and put engine and trans both at once or seperately?" After I replied with "seperately" several others said "both at once'. Sometimes what seems to be the easy way can turn out to be more work or more headache. On a Honda Accord the lift rings are one on engine and one on trans. There's your sign.
I rest my case :)

66 was the last year the 318 poly was used. My brother has a 66 Charger and is doing the same swap. Sounding nice..

-
Back