Slight oil leak question

-
You don't need a cherry picker to lift the engine. You can jack from below. Unbolt the motor mounts. On a SB, you can lift w/ a rod in a hole in the block, but not much to push against on a slant other than the oil pan, so use some 2x6 wood and newspapers to not mar it. Take the distributor cap & rotor off (cover w/ bag). Watch that the transmission doesn't jam against the tunnel. Once up, support w/ wood blocks between the mounts and K-frame. If still not enough room, you can drop the K-frame a bit by loosening the 4 bolts.

This is how I changed the motor mounts but I used the 2x4 under the oil pan. That is where I am trying to get to. I have a leak around the oil pan. I have looked since starting this thread but I do not see anywhere else to jack it from.

This is how I changed the motor mounts but I used the 2x4 under the oil pan. That is where I am trying to get to. I have a leak around the oil pan. I have looked since starting this thread but I do not see anywhere else to jack it from.

Jack it up using a piece of 2x4 or something under the pan. Once you have it raised put some blocks in the space on your motor mounts to hold it.

If you are supporting the engine with a block of wood between the mount and the k-member wouldn't lowering the k lower the engine the same amount?O:)
Yes and no. The highest you can jack up the engine is until the tranny hits the tunnel. If you also lower the K-frame, you can put bigger blocks of wood to hold the engine further away from the K-frame. Of course, don't get carried away. Make sure you have plenty of threads in the K-frame bolts still going into the frame (might remove a bolt to verify. I would also stack 4x4's under the K-frame before I climbed underneath. I never trust jack stands, since they look real tiny if under a car floating on stands and I don't want to be China's quality tester. I always stack a lattice of cut 4x4's under the frame rails and lower the car onto those. A good use for old fence posts.

-
Back