Small AC Compressor

-

VH770

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Has anyone seen or heard of an AC compressor mounted down low on the drivers side of a small block (where the power steering pumps usually sit; rear of the compressor close to the engine mount bracket)?

Relatedly, what's the smallest (shortest) AC compressor you've come across? I've got a Sanden 508 style (approx 185mm depth from the rear V-belt groove centre) and its too deep for anywhere I'd like to mount it (my rough estimate wants something ~160mm depth or less). If there's nothing I may need to move away from the engine and use an electric unit ($$$).

Thanks

The GM R4 "pancake" compressor is probably the shortest.

since your in australia drivers side could be confusing dont y'all have right hand drive cars?

i read a thread on FABO that @HemiDenny was making brackets and selling them to mount ac compressor down low on the left side of motor and recall the thread talikng about compressor lengths

i looked at the HDK website after reading the thread but i did not see the bracketry. he could have abandoned the projeck or sold out if they money and time to produce wasn't worth it for him

The GM R4 "pancake" compressor is probably the shortest.
Thanks! I hadn't come across these before and you might be onto a winner. I've done some preliminary searching and it looks like there are two types, the "standard" and the "light". The below is all the info i could manage to find about the AC Delco range (?), and i'm trying to confirm with summit racing if these dimensions are accurate for their four seasons unit (#58235). I've also tried emailing four seasons directly for answers.

Capture.PNG

Assuming the dimensions above are accurate, a 7" diameter unit would reduce my allowable depth (from rear to centre of v-groove) from ~160mm to a maximum of ~120mm and that's looking a bit shaky if the dimension in the chart suggests 127mm (~5"). I'll wait and see if i get responses to my questions.

I can't find much info online about the depth of the "peanut" or "shorty" sanden compressors. Best I've managed is finding this one (SD7B10) which claims to be ~165mm. If anyone reading this has any additional info they can share please do.

If anyone thinks of any other compressors please share them with me so I can investigate dimensions.

edit: found this regarding the SD7B10 "peanut" compressor after more searching. Looks like it's around 145mm from the rear of the unit until the rear-most v-belt groove centre. That's a winner (summit).

1-81.jpg

Nice, thanks for passing that on. That is the location i'm looking to put the compressor (under a torqstorm). Im not too bothered about the brackets as I could make anything work as long as I can identify a suitably sized compressor.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Has anyone seen or heard of an AC compressor mounted down low on the drivers side of a small block (where the power steering pumps usually sit; rear of the compressor close to the engine mount bracket)?

Relatedly, what's the smallest (shortest) AC compressor you've come across? I've got a Sanden 508 style (approx 185mm depth from the rear V-belt groove centre) and its too deep for anywhere I'd like to mount it (my rough estimate wants something ~160mm depth or less). If there's nothing I may need to move away from the engine and use an electric unit ($$$).

Thanks
G'day Aussie.
I have recently been through the exact same conundrum on my blower project.

The smallest AC compressor I was able to find for my VC Val is the "7189 SD7B10".

This one just has a single V belt instead of twins. which is what I needed for front clearance for fans/radiator etc

Total length is 173mm front to back so it should be just about the right size for what you want.

I can get pics of the actual unit with a measuring tape across the length if you like.

Also, these compressors pivot on the exact same adjustment radius as a valiant alternator. So you might be able to use/modify an alternator bracket.

I discovered this immediately after spending a few hours making a custom slotted adjusting bracket. Might save you the trouble.

Screenshot_20230117-191339_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Not sure if this helps, but my 2002 Ram Van with a 5.9 has a shorter version of a sanden compressor than the trucks do.

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but @j par did a pretty slick A/C install in his Duster. It's down low on the left side of the engine, about where the power steering pump would be. Perhaps he can get you some info on how he did that.

G'day Aussie.
I have recently been through the exact same conundrum on my blower project.

Nice one! Obviously one groove instead of two is better, thanks for that info. I've noticed an electric pump for $600 on eBay (which compares to around 400-500 depending on manufacturer for a SD7B10), so I'm deciding between the two options. Where are you planning to mount your compressor?

Nice work j-par thanks for sharing

Nice one! Obviously one groove instead of two is better, thanks for that info. I've noticed an electric pump for $600 on eBay (which compares to around 400-500 depending on manufacturer for a SD7B10), so I'm deciding between the two options. Where are you planning to mount your compressor?

Nice work j-par thanks for sharing
I looked at the electric option too, and the more I looked at it, the more it seemed to be cost-prohibitive, with a shorter expected service life and more expensive maintenance, as well as a big compromise in the AC system's performance.

The conclusion I came to is that if electric AC were a good alternative, you'd see them on a huge variety of applications.

This article covers most of the reasons why I steered away from an electric unit.
Tech Topic: Is an Electric Compressor a Good Option for My Hot Rod? - Vintage Air

As for my AC pump, I mounted it adjacent the crank pulley on the right hand side on a 5.9 magnum. I have it pivoting from the bottom with the adjuster above.
It is still in mock-up and needs to be reinforced, but I managed to get it located with sufficient clearance from the water pump inlet and the K-frame in a VC.
I will get some photos of the mock-up for you tomorrow evening for reference so you can eyeball it's relative size to the block etc. :thumbsup:

Some pics and vids of my mock-up with the 7189 pump and a few measurements.

This is all just tack welded and will be reinforced later when I have my entire accessory drive system finalised.

One pic shows the length of the pump itself.

The others indicate relative measurements of the front and back of the pump as measured from the machined surface on front of the block where the timing cover seals to.

The videos are just easier than a static photo for getting a visual of where the brackets are mounted and their shape/size of each section.

On this engine, the AC pump is set up to be driven on the rear-most V-belt.

Whether or not this is useful to you, I have no idea. But hopefully someone can benefit.

20230120_234922.jpg

20230120_235109.jpg

20230120_235243.jpg

Last edited:
In the process of using @HemiDenny AC brackets! I switched up the belt pulley to a tensioner as I have a wide water pump pulley.

So far no issues, I think when I go to drop it in, I will have to remove the battery tray.

Still debating on if I’m going in from the top or bottom!!! Bought Vintage Air AC line and I’m going to bend to fit once in!!!

12C0F673-8BEB-40E5-B873-4BF662E7DF89.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here is a pick of the Sanden SD-7B10 that I used, 67 Dart with a '73 and up crossmember. I found a donor "smog pump" bracket from the wrecking yard. I then beefed it up a little to use for the compressor. The inner belt groove will be used with the water pump and power steering pump. As you can see I have to plumb it.

20230123_211105_HDR.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input. Some good practical solutions which have inspired me to persist with my SD508 which I was using in the factory location (before installing the torqstorm and electric water pump). Cannot reinstall in that location because of the water pump pulley delete.

I cut some 6mm brackets on a water jet and have test fit this afternoon with some 16mm steel tubing as temporary spacers. I didn't go with a swing-arm design (like the universal brackets) because my k-frame gets in the way. It's tight under the cylinder head with the 90 degree hose fittings, and there's only about 15mm of adjustment in the adjustable link so we'll see how it plays out (certainly a SD7B10 would fit better with respect to the hose fittings). At the moment I'm happy with the fit so I'll turn some spacers on a lathe and order some socket head bolts to finish it up. Will post here on the forum again when a belt is on and I've proven to myself it works without the belt slipping, excessive vibration, interference, or whatever else.

2.PNG

20230126_145846.jpg

20230126_171711.jpg

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. Some good practical solutions which have inspired me to persist with my SD508 which I was using in the factory location (before installing the torqstorm and electric water pump). Cannot reinstall in that location because of the water pump pulley delete.

I cut some 6mm brackets on a water jet and have test fit this afternoon with some 16mm steel tubing as temporary spacers. I didn't go with a swing-arm design (like the universal brackets) because my k-frame gets in the way. It's tight under the cylinder head with the 90 degree hose fittings, and there's only about 15mm of adjustment in the adjustable link so we'll see how it plays out (certainly a SD7B10 would fit better with respect to the hose fittings). At the moment I'm happy with the fit so I'll turn some spacers on a lathe and order some socket head bolts to finish it up. Will post here on the forum again when a belt is on and I've proven to myself it works without the belt slipping, excessive vibration, interference, or whatever else.

View attachment 1716039679

View attachment 1716039680

View attachment 1716039681

Thanks
I see you’re from Sydney!

I wish had known, I was there last year for 3 months working the Floods claims from Sydney down to Tuross Head!

We could have gotten together and went to the Harbor for a bite and swap car stories!!!

Keep us updated on your progress!

-
Back