Small block coolant temperature....

-

nitronut

Reaction score
I have a recently rebuilt small block 360. The coolant temperature was topping off around 205/210 degrees while driving it normal to hard in 80 degree weather. I drained and changed the antifreeze to a 50/50 mixture and added a pint of water wetter and let it idle (on another 80 degree day) for about 20 minutes and the coolant temperature stayed between 195/200 degrees at constant idle. My question is this. what is the normal/average coolant temperature while running on a hot day and at what temperature do you get into the danger zone of doing some engine damage?

About normal if you have a 195 thermostat.
X2 , and my 360 fresh built engine started running cooler after about 600 mile's was put on it, mine ran about 205 210 for a bit with a 195 thermostat, I think nitronut will be fine to 1968FormulaS340 8)

If you are running Dino oil the oil itself will not stand 230 deg for very long, if the oil breaks down it will not do its job of lubing parts. This is when damage occurs. If you are running synthetic oil you could run that thing at about 240 - 250 deg and not hurt it. It is not uncommon for a circle track or road race engine to see those temperatures during a race. It's not the heat itself it is the oil not lubing the parts to keep them from going metal to metal that causes the damage.

You haven't hurt anything at only 210

Chuck

I have a recently rebuilt small block 360. The coolant temperature was topping off around 205/210 degrees while driving it normal to hard in 80 degree weather. I drained and changed the antifreeze to a 50/50 mixture and added a pint of water wetter and let it idle (on another 80 degree day) for about 20 minutes and the coolant temperature stayed between 195/200 degrees at constant idle. My question is this. what is the normal/average coolant temperature while running on a hot day and at what temperature do you get into the danger zone of doing some engine damage?

This much...

RodBrg6_12_10Md02.JPG

Only 4,000 rpm....should had been at 7,000, lol

7,000 would have made this really ugly.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdAm4_RvueI&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- PICT2702.MOV[/ame]

The re-ring job has about 60K miles and the OE bore and OE pistons have 210K miles on them. Did pretty good for cruising for hours at 3800-4000.

Hey it always ran cool. I've driven it across the desert in blazing heat, never got warm.

-
Back