small block differences. someone want to fill me in please?

-
My 340 will rev to 6500 rpms no problem. And its mostly stock.

well, i still dont have a tach in my car, the only one i can find that is affordable is 2 5/8. but i have a feeling mine gets up there in the rpms too. but under hard acceleration, i can hear the valvetrain start ticking really hard around what i would guess is just shy of 5k

I dont hav a tach in my car,i just shift when my dash pad starts to jump :shock: it works out great,i hit it like that an i can get both tires to rost goin into 3rd, :shock: its actually pretty cool :twisted:

She should fire up this weekend,its all good now everything is up to date an ready to go looking forward to pissing off the street with the new cam at 2K an uncapped!!HAHAHA :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

AdamR wrote:
Got Dart yes it may have a forged crank. Im not sure when the 318s started getting the cast crank.
Just looked this up in the Mopar Engine book. It says in '67 the 273 and 318 shared the same forged crank. Starting in '68 all the way through '89 the 318 got a cast crank, even the 4-bbl motors.

Also, the 340 had forged from '68 to '71. But for '72 and '73, it also got a cast crank. So maybe this is what you were thinking about Adam.

All 360 cranks are cast.

It depends on were you read your info. I know my 72 has a forged crank in it. Perhaps it was swapped in though. Hopefully they swapped a better set of slugs in it aswell

Adam, acording to m.p manual the steel crank was used in the 73 340 model year with the 4 speed transmission. I owned a matching # 340 73 duster and 4 speed and it did indeed have a steel crank as damper casting indicated this.

Adam, acording to m.p manual the steel crank was used in the 73 340 model year with the 4 speed transmission. I owned a matching # 340 73 duster and 4 speed and it did indeed have a steel crank as damper casting indicated this.

i thought i remembered hearing/reading that 4 speed cars still got the forged crank. but then again, maybe which factory built it may or may not have run out of the forged units.

On the 318 cranks I think if you dig a little deeper you would find that some heavy duty pickups with the 318 had a steel crank up untill 72 or 73. I think they were listed as a 318-3 motor.

AdamЯ;21878 said:
It depends on were you read your info. I know my 72 has a forged crank in it. Perhaps it was swapped in though. Hopefully they swapped a better set of slugs in it aswell

My '72 340 has a forged crank as well.

My '72 duster 340 also has the forged crank. When I bought this car in june of '76, the engine had never been out of the car, so I know it was factory installed as well. And it has the 727 auto. I would say that Mother Mopar was using up the forged crank stocks until they ran out, being that they were switching over to the cast units for the '73 model. I passed up on a new '73 Duster 340 auto in 1973 at the dealers for $3300.00, because of the cast crank. Which I later learned wasn't really an issue because the cast cranks are more than strong enough for serious performance duty. Many 10 sec. cars have them. Unless I have a clutch car with 'big' tires and steep gears, the cast crank is fine. Good luck,
Terry.

AdamЯ;21367 said:
Got Dart yes it may have a forged crank. Im not sure when the 318s started getting the cast crank.
I know 340s had forged threw most of 72.

Also all horse power ratings dropped in 72 becuase they lowered the compression.
not true at all. the hp didnt Change at all. they just went from measuring engine hp to rwhp. u can lose a good bit of hp thru your drivetrain

The builder said it really looks good. That crank in a 318 will net you around 350 cubes. A good size. Match that with a set of good light pistons and your on the road to a 340/360 killer.

lol...not unless you've got twice as much money in that 318 or your spraying...people yank out 318's and replace them with 340/360's for a reason...

-
Back