Small Block Distributor Rotor Position

-

dd70340

Reaction score
I have a Mopar Performance Electronic Ignition kit, part number P3690426, that I tried to install on my 70 340 Dart which has a single point distributor. I couldn't get the engine to run with the electronic distributor so I left the point distributor in. The point distributor has an oil leak so I wanted to see if replacing it solved the problem. When I had both distributors out I noticed the rotor and the tip that goes into the oil pump gear on the point distributor were parallel, however the rotor and oil pump gear tip on the electronic distributor are about 30 degrees off. See pictures. I found pictures of other small block distributors and they all have parallel rotors and oil pump gear tips Mopar 1973 340 Electronic Distributor A, B & E - body P/N 3656771 | eBay. Is there a way to adjust the shaft on my electronic distributor so the rotor and gear pump tip are parallel? I know I can adjust the oil pump gear to get the engine to run but I would rather adjust the electronic distributor so it would be interchangeable with the point distributor in case I would have to put it back in.

20221113_174318.jpg

20221113_174353.jpg

I had a couple distributors like that. I think one was from my 84 D150 with 360. Dont worry about the orientation of shaft to rotor. What you need to be concerned is #1 TDC compression has rotor pointing at #1 on the cap.
That being said you will probably need to remove the intermediate shaft with gear and orient it that 30* difference.

If you wanted to you can jump the wires on the cap. Then you would not have to move the intermediate shaft.
Just have two caps one for points and one for electronic ignition. Use a white permanent marker and mark the cap for number one plug.
Just my 2 cents.

-
Back