Small Block Engine Leak

-

69cudaownr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a leak that spits out oil at high rpm and then the fan blows it over the passenger side of the engine. I cannot figure it out. I have replaced the gaskets and resealed the Edelbrock intake. I have resealed the valve covers. And here is the real head scratcher I can get a small pool of oil inside the pulley attached to the crank, yet the belts seem dry.
Can it come out through bolts? Need some ideas.

Greg

Fuel pump
Crank seal in the timing cover
oil pan gasket.
block and head meeting area

Same thing happened to me. I went to super summit 3 years ago and popped my hood and what a mess.

Check for a bad PCV valve. If the engine becomes pressurized because it is not working, this can work with the high rpm to force oil out of normally not leaking areas.

Have you run it up while parked in your driveway and looked for the leak?

I'd go with crank seal in the timing cover, sounds like to much oil to be coming out from the other stuff and since the crank turns faster at higher rpms it would make since, let us know!

Look for oil drops/peak on the front pan seal area, and rumble said..it could be the front cover seal... or even the 'dip stick tube'.

Do you happen to have a mechanical oil gauge?
The line can crack and piss all over.

Is it for sure oil or could it be ATF (if it's an automatic)? It could be a leaking trans. cooler line or fitting spraying into the front pulley and down the side of the engine. That's the only thing I can think of in front that'd spray into the front pulley.

Interesting note on the PVC valve. I will check that. The dipstick tube was resealed. The lip of the dipstick itself isn't supposed to have a "o" ring on it, is it?

I am leaning toward the crank shaft seal. That is making sense and I can change the timing cover seal at the same time.

Thanks for your input.

Interesting note on the PVC valve. I will check that. The dipstick tube was resealed. The lip of the dipstick itself isn't supposed to have a "o" ring on it, is it?
Indeed on the PVC. No "O" ring on the dip stick tube at the block. Up top may depending on the unit. It could be an aftermarket tube and some have a O ring, others have a umbrella like seal.

I am leaning toward the crank shaft seal. That is making sense and I can change the timing cover seal at the same time.
Crankshaft seal, timing cover seal = same thing?

Or timeing cover gasket and crank seal that gets pressed in?

-
Back