small block engine to tranny braces

-

Abodysrule

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I see there are two braces for the small block that go between the engine and the tranny (A904). First off, does anyone have pics of them installed? Second, do these fit with tti shorty headers? Third, if not, anyone do alternate homemade brackets?

thank you all,

Brian

No pics or TTI info but there are different opinions regarding their use or need. I've raced for over 40 years and never had a problem without them. Less clutter to get in the way during any type of servicing also.

So what did you do, leave them off or fabricate ones that go around the headers?

Here they are on my 67 273/904
2018-08-05_001.jpg

2018-08-05_002.jpg

2018-08-05_003.jpg

2018-08-05_004.jpg

Alan

Put another way, are they not important, especially if one has a higher hp/torque engine?

Put another way, are they not important, especially if one has a higher hp/torque engine?
They may not interfere with shorty headers, but I doubt any small block with shorty headers is gonna make the really high HP/torque it would take to bust the bellhousing without them. Take a look at Myron's @Locomotion wheels up pic in reply #2. If he's never had a problem without them, either from too much power or the front end settling back to earth on those launches.....I wouldn't worry! @GTX JOHN may tell you the same thing as a long time racer. The only car I will ever put them back on is my 70 Challenger 340, which is a 100% numbers matching car with almost every single date coded part!

Not needed or important for any of our cars =
Never had an problem without them even on our
10 Second 340 stocker!

Interesting, thanks everyone, so is it just a case of Chrysler over engineering?

Another question, from looking at the pics above, is the automatic tranny (A904) bolted directly to the block and just has an inspection cover down below or is there some shield/spacer like chevy's sometimes have?

Interesting, thanks everyone, so is it just a case of Chrysler over engineering?

Another question, from looking at the pics above, is the automatic tranny (A904) bolted directly to the block and just has an inspection cover down below or is there some shield/spacer like chevy's sometimes have?
no spacer, mopar engineered properly... also all the torque on the trans is handled by the 2 big dowels on the back of the block..

no spacer, mopar engineered properly... also all the torque on the trans is handled by the 2 big dowels on the back of the block..
OK that's what I thought...I was watching a back spacing video for torque converters and was shocked to see spacer plates between the tranny and block, guy welded two together to get proper spacing....yeah, it was a chevy.

OK that's what I thought...I was watching a back spacing video for torque converters and was shocked to see spacer plates between the tranny and block, guy welded two together to get proper spacing....yeah, it was a chevy.
yeah.. chevy did some things really well.. and some just ****.. like shimming starters or they sound like a snow shovel.. but having the same trans work on all engines of the same make is genius...

I always run them when I can....just because. They typically wont clear most headers. That being said, I have run without them many times and never had any problems. I wouldnt go out of my way to find some if yours are missing.

-
Back