Small block heads??

-

Lugnutz

Reaction score
I have been out of the street scene for about 12 years now and was wondering what everybody is using for small block heads these days. Back in the day I was eyeballing the Mopar Performace W5 heads but heard a rumor they were discontinued.

I am building a 408 for street and strip and have to find a set of heads for it. Any thoughts?

The W5s haven't been cast since like, 1998. You can occasionally find a set, but they're pretty spendy.

Lots of guys are running Edelbrock aluminum heads, and there are some nice cast iron heads on the scene aftermarket, too, that aren't too spendy. I'm drawing a blank. I'm sure someone will pipe up and say.

Any idea of the air flow numbers of the W5 compared to the Edelbrocks?

When a set of the W5's surface what kinda price tag do people usually put on them?

I would like to run the 10.90 class in an early "A" body. Still have to figure out the weights to see how much hp I will need to get into that time.

$1700 bare...wow...I like that...

10.90 in an A body...build a 408 with port eddies or rhs/indy heads...

Ported Edelbrocks will get you high 10’s without much trouble (my car uses ported Edelbrocks). Indy -1’s will get you further into the 10’s, but will cost you more $$$$. If I recall correctly, the Indy-1’s are closer in HP potential to the W5’s….you should probably double check that with someone though.

-
Back