small block heads?

-

rusty

Reaction score
Just looking for opinions on a good factory head for a 360 build.A good starting point

A non-magnum head, right? You have the X and J heads from the early-'70's or the '89-'92 360 heads with the last three casting numbers being 308.

The X or J heads with the 2.02 valves are the factory ones everybody wants for working over (hogging out/porting) to get the maximum budget performance

The 308's are a 'fast-burn' style head. They actual have been praised as the best 'all-around' factory head by several magazines and mopar engine places over the years.

Opinions vary, definitely read up on both, decide exactly what you want out of the engine, and I'm sure others will chime in.

Just want to have a good running car,maybe a little port work,I am looking at a 360 out of a cop car if there is a difference.Went to a swap meet today,didn't see much in the mopar department

A basic bowl porting and gasket match up with back cut stock valves are a really nice work up of the heads and will make some nice street power. 2.02's are needed unless you plan on 6000+ rpm. Nearly all years are about the same with none being a big show over the next. The letter heads are best. X,J,O,U, etc......

Thanks for the info,I will see what au can find.There's another auto swap meet in Lawrence,La in a couple weeks.

-
Back