Small block magnum in 68 dart

-

Moparornocar87

Reaction score
Bought a 94 b350 van for my 68 2 door coupe dart. Want to take everything from the van to the car, including the rear end. My question is more on the transmission side. Do I still use the a618 that came in the van to put into the dart with the 360magnum? Will it fit? Is this a common practice? What kind of power can I put on it?
Thank you tremendously

I don’t know exactly what that transmission is or what derivative it may have derived from, like the 727 or the 904. I doubt it’s the 904 style. The outer dimensions will have to be looked at compared to the 904 or 727. I have an overdrive 904 variant.
(A-500)
It fits with either some modification cutting that transmission crossmember frame that goes upwards into the transmission tunnel or grinding away at the extra aluminum on the side of the transmission which are strengthening struts for the transmission. It seems to be a catch 22 on that.

Can you provide a picture of the transmission?

Normally the OD transmission can handle some pretty good power without modifications to the tune around 450hp. Perhaps more. I’d wait for those that have been there and done that and what they did before going nutz on it. The one thing for sure is a trans cooler and a shift kit will help a lot because a cool running and fast shifting trans is a happy one. Not the other way around.
Bank on that one!

You’ll need to shorten that rear end a bit. Relocate the spring perches & then cut the driveshaft down for the added trans length and/or the rear ends length. (Front to back) Once you find a person to cut and balance the driveshaft it’s an easy measurement to take.

It's probably the A518 which is the 727 variant. Still hydro controlled OD. Still fits mods mentioned above. OP - search A518/A500 threads.

Bought a 94 b350 van for my 68 2 door coupe dart. Want to take everything from the van to the car, including the rear end. My question is more on the transmission side. Do I still use the a618 that came in the van to put into the dart with the 360magnum? Will it fit? Is this a common practice? What kind of power can I put on it?
Thank you tremendously
Pretty sure you will need a center sump base pan. Not sure what's in the van.

Pretty sure you will need a center sump base pan. Not sure what's in the van.
Your probably right about that one as all trucks have the rear sump, vans are more likely included under “Truck.”

The A618 or 47RE is a computer controlled monster size wise.
Once you cut a place for that to go, you won’t have much car left. :D
They were commonly used behind diesels.
A computer would be required for that one.

Maybe sell it and pick up a A518 (727 with OD and converter lockup.)
Can be run without a computer.
More info on it here,

A TH200r4 adaptation requires less surgery to install than any of the ChryCo O.D. automatics.

-
Back