Small Block, Meziere Pump, and Electric Fans-Radiator Fan Combo

-

Bluecuda340

Reaction score
Is anyone out there running a Radiator and Fan combo for an A-body that clears the meziere pump with a small block? My current setup has worked for a long time but I would like tp upgrade it. I see lots of people make a radiator and electric fan combo but some I see either have cheap fans, or the dimensions won't clear the Meziere pump. Kind of looking for a bolt in deal before Drag Week. Thanks for any info.

I have looked at Becool(which might work but to expensive), I have an email into cold case radiator, and one or two others I can't remember. I can look at the Champion setup and tell that it won't clear the pump.

Its an unlikely find this close to drag week but worth an ask. I am worried about reliability of my current hacked up Dodge Intrepid fans more than I am over heating.

Is anyone out there running a Radiator and Fan combo for an A-body that clears the meziere pump with a small block? My current setup has worked for a long time but I would like tp upgrade it. I see lots of people make a radiator and electric fan combo but some I see either have cheap fans, or the dimensions won't clear the Meziere pump. Kind of looking for a bolt in deal before Drag Week. Thanks for any info.

I have looked at Becool(which might work but to expensive), I have an email into cold case radiator, and one or two others I can't remember. I can look at the Champion setup and tell that it won't clear the pump.

Its an unlikely find this close to drag week but worth an ask. I am worried about reliability of my current hacked up Dodge Intrepid fans more than I am over heating.
The fan needs to be mounted on the front as a pusher, zero problems like that, also 2 core Wizard radiator with 1.25" cores, high quality big CFM Spal electric fan

The fan needs to be mounted on the front as a pusher, zero problems like that, also 2 core Wizard radiator with 1.25" cores, high quality big CFM Spal electric fan

I dont know if ur car runs like his does, ( read-hauls *** !) , but blocking any airflow on the hi way may not work for him----jmo

I dont know if ur car runs like his does, ( read-hauls *** !) , but blocking any airflow on the hi way may not work for him----jmo
LOL......well geez I don't know.......I street drive mine and get out on the highway some with it but can you define ( hauls *** ) like in ET numbers before I decide to bow out.

Actually nevermind, I thought that might have been Clark's car and my setup would be more than adequate for him as I know of his car, I raced against him at the Tulsa track years ago with my little entry level engine but same exact cooling system as i still have today and memory is vague but our ET's were very similiar back then and my setup is SIGNIFICANTLY faster now with same cooling setup and still ZERO issues.

I strongly believe that most guys overheating issues are due to cheap radiators and you are contemplating 2 of them in your post ( Champion and Cold Case )......I have no experience with BeCool but my Wizard radiator has performed flawlessly still to this day with just shy off 1000 hp but irreguardless of brand I think I would only be interested in a radiator that offered two 1.25" thick cores, you would have to double check but possibly Griffin offers that same spec setup as well.

Are you planning on driving your car on the street or is it race only?

I do both with mine
I had thought about a pusher, but it seems most of those underperform. Would you feel good sticking your car on the highway for a few hours? That is where mine struggles the most. I can idle around town all day and stay 180ish. Its the slow creep on the highway that causes me problems especially on Drag Week. Open air no traffic it is pretty good, when there is lots of cars around it creeps up more. It takes a long time for it to get worrisome but it would be nice to not sweat it as much.

My current radiator core is a 19x22(core size) crossflow. I don't know what brand it is but I think airflow is more of a problem then the radiator. The fact that there is a post right dead center of the grille doesn't do it any good either lol.

I had thought about a pusher, but it seems most of those underperform. Would you feel good sticking your car on the highway for a few hours? That is where mine struggles the most. I can idle around town all day and stay 180ish. Its the slow creep on the highway that causes me problems especially on Drag Week. Open air no traffic it is pretty good, when there is lots of cars around it creeps up more. It takes a long time for it to get worrisome but it would be nice to not sweat it as much.

My current radiator core is a 19x22(core size) crossflow. I don't know what brand it is but I think airflow is more of a problem then the radiator. The fact that there is a post right dead center of the grille doesn't do it any good either lol.
I have the best one Spal made at the time which was 2000 plus CFM and I believe they have better offerings now with the brushless ones which I believe are also thinner so you may go on there website and get engineering diagrams up of the fans your interested in and see if maybe one of the brushless ones may just squeeze in there. As far as having mine out of the highway for hours on end I can't comment as I've had it on the highway but for like 30-45 minutes at a time but experienced no issues.......I also run mine through a thermal switch so it comes on and goes off in accordance with the specs of the switch. I honestly would be surprised if I had a problem with the setup that I run, it's a very good radiator and still believe that most guys issues arise from cheaping out in that area, it's the best fan that Spal had at the time and I can honestly say that cooling system issues I have not had to deal with. Hottest temps's I have ever experienced were when it was 90 plus degrees outside and I was racing 2 classes so not much cool down and yet still at worst would climb to 200-205 and then come right back down.

I hope this helps.

Here is a photo of the old set up I had on my Duster about 15 years ago.

If I remember correctly, it was a factory size small block rad. Though I do not remember the size of the fans. They did fit, but it was very tight.

upload_2021-8-16_18-52-28.png

It is quite different now. However it still has the Meziere WP and Electric fans.

I took some measurements for you:
Rad: 26" wide, 3" deep (2 core)
Both fans are 12" (Spal)
I had the Waterpump upgraded / rebuilt a few years back with a larger, higher flow motor and is a bit longer than it was in the first photo above. At present it sits about 6.5" out from the engine.

As you can see it is a very tight fit, but totally doable.

...Don't mind the clutter! I am doing some electrical work!

upload_2021-8-16_19-37-52.png

upload_2021-8-16_19-38-51.png

upload_2021-8-16_19-39-42.png

Griffin Radiators
Best I have ever used
Made in the USA
Worth every penny$.
I dislike electric fans, never did find one that worked well.

Also don't forget that the widest part of the fan likely may not be at the farthest sticking out part of the pump. Only you can determine that. I was pleasantly surprised when I put my dual fan on that it cleared much better than I had anticipated due to that. My cools just fine but perhaps I don't have the power output you do (7.11 in the 1/8 mile). Although it is dual pullers, I typically only need 1 fan turned on (I have them on separate switches).
20201206_141928.jpg
20201206_141846.jpg

Actually nevermind, I thought that might have been Clark's car and my setup would be more than adequate for him as I know of his car, I raced against him at the Tulsa track years ago with my little entry level engine but same exact cooling system as i still have today and memory is vague but our ET's were very similiar back then and my setup is SIGNIFICANTLY faster now with same cooling setup and still ZERO issues.

so is his !

Griffin Radiators
Best I have ever used
Made in the USA
Worth every penny$.
I dislike electric fans, never did find one that worked well.

I hit the agree button , I experimented with fans all last summer , 3 elec. fans wouldn`t cut it on mine .

I hit the agree button , I experimented with fans all last summer , 3 elec. fans wouldn`t cut it on mine .
You obviously need more skilled help on your car than what you seem to be able to currently provide......I don't have the issues you have, and probably double the power but I am highly intelligent and not a cheapskate when it comes to parts so that is more than likely the reason why my car performs so well.

You obviously need more skilled help on your car than what you seem to be able to currently provide......I don't have the issues you have, and probably double the power but I am highly intelligent and not a cheapskate when it comes to parts so that is more than likely the reason why my car performs so well.

intelligent enough to be a smart *** too. I do not have over heating problems now , I simply stated what I did last summer for the fun of experimenting .
You sound like some of the clowns over on fbbo ---nuff said !

-
Back