Small block mopar price check

-

tnts72

Reaction score
Help me out on a value for these. 360 bare block / bare set of fully ported J castings. Leary of sinking too much $$$ in bare parts then spending 5-6k in finishing them up. Really only looking to build a 450hp mopar sb to run on the street. Thinking it may be much cheaper to find a complete shortblock and put a top end on it. Guy is looking for $475 on the bare block and 200 on the heads

Attachments

• image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 447
Here's the block...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 442
Looks like some work has been done to both.

If the block has been gone through, 4 bolt mains added, align bored, cylinders bored, magged and sonic checked etc.

Porting and adding the valves to the heads ain't cheap.

I bet you couldn't do it for those prices.

Check them over real good!

Run away from the 'professionally ported' heads...
The block, well the one pic does show 4 bolt caps,
No evidence however of main saddle line hone, no evidence of #3 main cap thrust bearing
fitment (remember that Guys?, change the cap, change the thrust brng alignment).

So,
$375 on the bare block. Done. or Walk !

My humble opine.

I tend agree about the unknown on the heads. Maybe ask if they have flow sheets and who did the work. Even better if you can call who did the port and flow work and verify.

Only if the seller let's you have it machinist checked...

That's pretty spendy for some parts that are basically an unknown as far as quality and condition.
As for heads especially, you can get into aluminum heads that are professionally done by a known person like MRL or any known mopar builder on here that you know will perform out of the box and they will make sure they are a true bolt on.
I've seen too many iron heads that were ''hogged out'' and called good in the past by so called professional porters to steer clear of any of those.
Kinda makes me wonder why they're for sale if they are so good........

You can build 450 hp with a good 360 build and easily with a 4" crank. I'd stay away from the heads unless they were magnafluxed and pressure tested. Honest for the power you are looking for I'd call Brian at IMM and buy a NEW set of iron heads from him.

Find a good 360 block, heads from IMM, a Performer RPM and a cast Scat stroker kit with a descent cam and it'll make 450-475 without breathing hard. Strokers are a blast to drive, they think they're big blocks.

I just bought a 360 complete 596heads motor mounts oilpan $50
Your not taking about a Chevy here! Mopars don't need bolt mains to hold power.
j heads lol! Who cares.....

The last 340 block i bought was $250 on E-bay. I had to drive about 100 miles into Northern MN,but man what a deal i got there. The guy had tons of Mopar stuff and i dropped another $1,000 for an Art Car built 727/2,600 stall setup/oil pans/timing chain covers etc. etc. but included in that was a pair of complete 69' X heads. You never know what you will find. I just sold a 92' 318 complete for $600 while i bought it for $400 and am selling the exaust maniflods (2 1/8") outlets. Even if you bought a complete engine, there may be hidden problems also(you could come up with a cracked block also) At least when you look at a block that has been hot tanked you can inspect in more thorough. That 4 bolt main block may not be good for you,but a racer might get a good deal if he was willing to let a machine shop to look at it first. Of course it's up to the person buying it to pick up the bill the bill,but i say it's cheap insurance. Those J heads don't mean anything these days.

Glen

I appreciate the experience you guys are sharing. I am leary of buying pieces and parts. Would rather do the disassembly myself so I know what I have! I also asked about flow numbers on the heads... None - this shop did them but the shop owner has since passed away. Just too many questions for me to put my $$$ on the line.

-
Back