Small Block or Big Block- help me decide

-
I just finished building a 418 w2 stroker motor and I am partially dutch on my mothers side.
Now that the 418 is between the frame rails and running around I think back to why did I go stroker? I could of bought a 6.1l hemi from the wreckers or even crate motor and I would of had a reliable 400 hp engine with fuel injection and fuel economy ....
But the old school look is in the car now
I also debated on sliding a 440 into my dart but I didn't want to have to change things over from small block setup (I had everything for small block)
But I could of sold it all off and went big block
See I am of no help :)

With a small block you have more room for turbos in the future or more room period.MRL knows some good hp combos

375 - 400 hp
hmm.The problem with a 400hp big block is that a 350hp small block will probably go by it.

Get some nice big-block heads and put them on a smallblock. Thas' a sweeeeet-runnin' sumbish, right there.

Amiright, rustyratrod?

Smallblock all the way,if You can't hit the modest goal of 375-400hp w/one, you're
doing something wrong.Big blocks weigh too much, the heads flow too little,and take up
lots of room just to end up w/ the same output?If aftermarket heads are on the list/in the
budget,you could make the case better for a low deck job(of which I'm a fan),and the room/
weight factor won't be as bad.Remember,you have to steer and stop that thing too!Personally,
I love handling and driving fast,not just jumping on it to put several car lengths on a fart can
special,only to watch him get around and disappear in the turns ahead! But that's just me.

I went big block, and plan on putting the turbo in the license plate.. F under hood heat

Just a mild NA build for now so I can enjoy my car for the first time in 10 years, while I build a 438 stroker - be it NA or turbo - I haven't decided yet.. all I have is a block and crank so far.. leaning toward low comp, turbo after driving a turbo 5.0 fox mustang..

With aftermarket K member I would go big block with aluminium heads, any size will make the power you want cheap, even a basic 30 over 440 will have tons of grunt on the street.

-
Back