Small block stroker start up question

-

RIBOATSERVICES

Reaction score
Hi, almost done putting the 416 together. I would like to break in engine before it goes in the car on shop floor. Its an automatic car so im looking for options on cranking engine over with out having to completely hook up auto trans to engine. You guys have any tricks for this ? Thanks

Why not drop the coin and break it in on a dyno? It's worth it's weight in gold.

Put a fly wheel on it, make a steel plate to bolt to the block that you can weld nuts onto to bolt up your starter. Regular engine 'cradle type' stand will work to hold it.

Thanks crazyguy....I might just try that flywheel trick if I can find a used internally balanced one. maybe ebay. Would love to use a dyno to break it in but after coughing up all the coin for the stroker parts I don`t think in gonna have enough cash left to get that fancy new cubic zirconia ring that my girl is waiting for :)

My builder is charging me $500 to dyno my 408. That includes setting up the distributor and any jetting changes needed in my carb. In my opinion, it's money well spent. When I get the engine home, it will be ready to drop in and drive!

My builder is charging me $500 to dyno my 408. That includes setting up the distributor and any jetting changes needed in my carb. In my opinion, it's money well spent. When I get the engine home, it will be ready to drop in and drive!

500 here too. That covers a full day if needed and any adjustments and or parts swapping you want to try.

It's nice to get it dyno tunes but that part can be done in car. However the diagnostics and ultra controlled break in is not. I.e. you'll never overheat a dyno, all gauges are constanly visable, you can load engine during break in, low oil pressure auto shut off. etc etc

I'd wait a few weeks and save the coin since it could very well save al that "coin" you droped into stroker parts.

-
Back