Small block swappers...True or False?

-

Dusteriffic

Stink finger
Reaction score
When swapping a small block into a '73+ slant6 car, you also have to swap in a center steering link from a V8 car.

I've been told the two links are the same, but I've never seen a 73+ V8 link next to a slant6 link to know for sure if there's a difference. Help!

Thanks guys!

I know the 72 and earlier centerlinks are different between v8 and 6. To be sure look at a parts catalog and see if they have a different part number. Its very likely that by then they went to a single part number to cut down on the different parts to build a car.

Don, it looks like the Mopar Parts Catalog says one part number fits all 225, 318 & 360 engines for my '76 Duster. No notations about engine size was present. Thanks.

I also found out that '72 & earlier center links mount the idler & pitman arms thru the bottom, while '73+ links mount the arms thru the top. This means the taper in the holes is different between the two generations and therefore not interchangable.

Well the center link in my 68 \6 Barracuda was identical to the center link from the 318 73 Dart I was using as a disk brake doner. When I swapped in the 360 into the Barracuda I kept the \6 center link that was in the car, there are no clearance issues.

I had been told they were different and I suppose that the one in my car could have been swapped from the \6 to v8 sometime before I got the car but I can't imagine the PO having done it (he was the second owner and purchased the car in 72).

The one thing I did notice that was differnt between the 68 Barracuda and 73 Dart steering was the split tubes that connect the inner and outer tie rod ends are much more robust in my Barracuda than the ones in the Dart. Again the ones in my car could be after market, don't know.

the link change is required for 66 and earlier a-bodies as the /6 had a straight ie no drop link. yours will be fine - even clears a deep milodon street/strip pan.

-
Back