Small block timing cover install problems?

-

polkat

Reaction score
I hope this makes sense. I am re-installing the timing cover on my '73 318. I haven't done this in years so bare with me. After putting the rubber C gasket in the pan, and the cork gaskets to each side. I find that the cover gets pushed up a bit and I can't install the cover bolts without pushing the cover down. Okay, that's alright, but I was taught to install the bolts loosly so the cover can move around, then partially install the dampher and let the dampher align the seal, and therefore the cover itself to the right place, then finish tightening the bolts.

Makes sense, since one doesn't want the seal and dampher misaligned. However, I can see that the dampher is pushing up on the seal because of the new gasket stuff around the pan. In fact, looking at the old seal, I can see that this was a problem before.

How do you guys usually do it? Thanks!

I use a couple of long pins in 2 bolt holes to move the cover where I want it and hold it there while I tighten a couple of bolts

Your 2 front oil pan bolts go up into the cover.
I usually put these in first, and tighten them up enough to pull the cover down where it needs to be to get the rest of the bolts in. Once all the bolts are in and tight, I put the dampener on. So far it has never failed to line up correctly.

Make sense?

You put all the bolts in, bottom bolts first like said above, then after they are all tight put the damper on. The damper will not align the cover.

I wouldnt do that. Then you risk disturbing the rest of the oil pan gasket possibly leading to more leaks etc. Follow what was recommended above, its the way or one of the ways I would do it.

Actually, the dampher can be used to more closely align the cover. Because of the bolt hole sizes in the cover, it can move around a tiny bit. Not bad, but it can cause a slight misalingment between the dampher and the seal. By partially installing the dampher while the cover bolts are loose, the dampher will push on the seal and bring the seal closer into alingment, which of course moves the cover a tad. I've seen the results of such misalignment, which ruins the seal faster. My question was if finally tightening the bolts disturbs this slight alignment?

I just had my cover off last year due to a water pump bolt snapping off in the block. I tightened ALL bolts then put damper on. Zero leaks, bone dry. If you look at the lower bolt holes the tolerance on them is very tight and that will align the cover. The seal/damper will not align the cover.

I just had my cover off last year due to a water pump bolt snapping off in the block. I tightened ALL bolts then put damper on. Zero leaks, bone dry. If you look at the lower bolt holes the tolerance on them is very tight and that will align the cover. The seal/damper will not align the cover.

Agreed. Due to the problem you mention above I had also purchased a SS bolt kit from ARP and liquid tefloned the threads. Grooves worn in the damper seal surface will never seal which is why I always use a new damper on a new build. Fel-Pro also offers a kit with a new outer damper seal surface sleeve. Just food for thought.

-
Back