small block valley pan

-

siuauto

Reaction score
Hello all, Does anyone know if they make a valley pan for small blocks? if so can some one lead me to place to buy one.

Summit's listing them under Milodon, part number 32620, lifter valley pan, application LA series engines; Moroso, part number 25150, LA series engines. Stock heads

These are splash shields used mainly for windage control but they probably do help keep hot oil off the bottom of the intake. If you are using an air gap or a single plane with runners that are seperated from the valley anyway it probably won't make much a differance. I wouldn't do much windage control for a bracket or a street engine though as the loss of splash oiling could do more damage than the meager power gain you'd get from it.

hi, they don't do much for windage. they are to help keep hot oil off bottom of manifold and to keep lifters in bores in case of a valve train problem. that is their main function. any time you can insulate heat from intake, there is a power gain. I use them, has saved my motor one time. just food forthought.
a cam will splash oil this will help it to fall back down on the lobes and lifters.

hi, they don't do much for windage. they are to help keep hot oil off bottom of manifold and to keep lifters in bores in case of a valve train problem. that is their main function. any time you can insulate heat from intake, there is a power gain. I use them, has saved my motor one time. just food forthought.
a cam will splash oil this will help it to fall back down on the lobes and lifters.

Yeah, like I said in another thread: Pop built an engine that will never work on the street...

I guess I was thinking of an engine that had the oil to the lifters blocked, for some reason that's just on my brain these days. In this case if you cover the holes down the middle of the valley there isn't much oil that is going to be splashed onto the cam and lifters. The only oil you are getting to get there is the oil being thrown off the crankshaft.

Of course keeping hot oil off the intake is going to be a power gain but as I said, only with none air gap type manifolds which are superior anyway so if you are going to take it off why not just replace it with a better manifold.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I do have an airgap manifold and the original thought was to keep the oil of the intake, but now that I know it will keep the lifters in place that is reason enough to spend the $40.

-
Back