Small block Valve stuck

-

2telepoles

Reaction score
Any easy way to unstick a exhaust valve in a 360 Small Block? Not moving whatsoever.

5C5D93C0-9186-4F45-97F6-BC131F5677EF.jpeg

What made it stick? It may be bent. You need to pull the head and look at it and then figure out why it stuck.

Not sure, but was hoping not to pull the head! Thanks

If you have a stuck valve and don't remove the head and root cause the problem, if it sticks open you can blow up an engine if the piston hits the valve...

Been there, done that....

Find out why it's sticking and get it fixed properly...

It moves very little, but not when running

You then need to determine what it is causing it to move very little...

I would say it's either a stuck valve or worn lobe on the camshaft... Why is it moving very little is the question that you have to find answer to....

Remove the rocker arm and tap on the valve with a hammer and see if the valve will open more with a hammer or if it gets jammed in the guide... If the valve gets stuck in the guide, then it most likely will be caused by a bent valve, oversize valve stem, or undersized valve guide hole...

If the valve moves freely and opens more than 'very little' then check the camshaft for a worn lobe...

Pull the intake manifold and check the condition of that cam lobe. If it appears ok then you can go ahead and pull the head.

If the rocker arm's not moving either, it's got a wiped cam lobe.

Carbon buildup can cause a stuck valve. Spray the valve with carburetor choke cleaner. And lightly tap on the top of the valve stem and if it wiggles or moves spray it again and then tap it again. See if this doesn't free it up.

I had that on a brand freaking new set,of out of the box EQ heads, no less, on my Durango, it's a 360 too (magnum though) a couple of hours on a freshly built bottom end, (break in time) and it's maiden voyage was 6 miles about the last 2-1/2 on the end of a tow strap. Stuck and bent #4 exhaust. Machine shop said the intakes all had to be hammer and punched to get them out.

Well, here's what I think ;
if the valve is moving off the seat even a little, then, the only things it can be are a bent pushrod, a collapsed lifter or a flatted lobe. And you don't have to take the intake off to figure it out. But
if the valve is staying partially open, and the rocker is flopping around ............. well then ....... off with the head

I had that on a brand freaking new set,of out of the box EQ heads, no less, on my Durango, it's a 360 too (magnum though) a couple of hours on a freshly built bottom end, (break in time) and it's maiden voyage was 6 miles about the last 2-1/2 on the end of a tow strap. Stuck and bent #4 exhaust. Machine shop said the intakes all had to be hammer and punched to get them out.
I'd have been pissed. Did they cover the repairs? Of send you new heads

Nope. I think they had a 1 yr warranty. Which expired as I had the Durango as a garage ornament for longer than that before I ever dug into it to see that that was why the rebuild went bad. I didn't even look at it til after any warranty was long expired, so I didn't even call them. I just sent them to a machine shop and paid for them to make them right.

Well, here's what I think ;
if the valve is moving off the seat even a little, then, the only things it can be are a bent pushrod, a collapsed lifter or a flatted lobe. And you don't have to take the intake off to figure it out. But
if the valve is staying partially open, and the rocker is flopping around ............. well then ....... off with the head
You then need to determine what it is causing it to move very little...

I would say it's either a stuck valve or worn lobe on the camshaft... Why is it moving very little is the question that you have to find answer to....

Remove the rocker arm and tap on the valve with a hammer and see if the valve will open more with a hammer or if it gets jammed in the guide... If the valve gets stuck in the guide, then it most likely will be caused by a bent valve, oversize valve stem, or undersized valve guide hole...

If the valve moves freely and opens more than 'very little' then check the camshaft for a worn lobe...

72A858FE-7353-404D-90C2-07FE92846426.jpeg

-
Back