small block water pump bolt length?

-

jeff schwarz

Reaction score
555 freeman rd. #18 central point oregon 97501
Hi, Can some one tell me the correct length water pump bolts, the two on the bottom, I bought a timing cover and water pump bolt set from mancini and the two bottom water pump bolts are to short, they are 2", one of them will thread in about a 1/4", and the other not at all, I just want to make sure that when I get longer bolts that they do not go to far in to the opening of the timing cover. Thanks, Jeff.

Hi, Can some one tell me the correct length water pump bolts, the two on the bottom, I bought a timing cover and water pump bolt set from mancini and the two bottom water pump bolts are to short, they are 2", one of them will thread in about a 1/4", and the other not at all, I just want to make sure that when I get longer bolts that they do not go to far in to the opening of the timing cover. Thanks, Jeff.

What water pump are you running, the 60's style cast iron pump, or the 70 and later aluminum????

Take a small rod and put it into each hole till it bottoms. That gives you the max length. Remove about 1/4 - 3/8" and start from there

running AL use hard washers- I'd do it on cast iron even
there is another discussion but using grade 8 bolts and torquing to grade 8 bolt stretch can warp your pump use whatever grade bolt ma mopar engineer specified and factory torques except where it's been proven wrong

I haven't seen everything so I'll only state what I know about my own. The lower 2 bolts are the same length as the top center bolt. So the thickness of water pump casting plus 1/2 inch of bolt length should work down there just as it does at top center.
You say you have 2 bolts at 2 inches long, one reaches 1/4 inch or so of threads, other doesn't reach the threads in the timing cover? Has to be a difference in thickness of the water pump casting at these 2 bolt holes... unless something aint right about the threads in the timing cover ( lets hope not ).

I just measured a timing cover off a 74, the two bottom water pump bolts will have .835” of thread engagement.
So measure your water pump and that should give you the length.

-
Back