Small Block Windage Trays

-

66fs

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After a conversation in a "For Sale" thread I thought we could continue it. I found it interesting to find out that factory HP 318 had a special attaching bolts. Makes me wonder if the trays were different also.

Trays are the same for 273/318/340. 360 had wider spacing on the main cap bolts, and require a different tray. DC then simply slotted the mounting holes to accommodate all engines.
273/318 used slightly shorter main bolts, and the 340 bolts *could* bottom out when used in the smaller engines (or was it the factory main caps were a touch shorter on the small motors? Old age is catching up with me...), so DC included hardened washers in their tray hardware packages for use on 273/318s to alleviate that problem (You know, the ones that everybody keeps asking "What are these for?"). Factory (HP)318s used shorter bolts, but they were standardized in the DC package, thus the washers.
Question: Factory roller LA360s had windage trays (at least every one I've had apart), but did the roller 318s also get windage trays (I've never had one)?

Last edited:
I’m going to dig out one of my old DC catalogs and look because I thought I bought a windage tray with 318 correct length bolts one time.

Either that or they sold the bolt kit separately.

Yes the trays are different looking with different cuts. Here are the two trays side by side.

The 318 tray has a narrower baffle and is cut in the front and also cut different around the oil pump.

318 on the left in the first picture and 318 on the right in the second picture.

106_0582.JPG

106_0583.JPG

Very interesting. I just learned me something new, I had no idea.
Very cool gentleman, very cool.

Trays are the same for 273/318/340. 360 had wider spacing on the main cap bolts, and require a different tray. DC then simply slotted the mounting holes to accommodate all engines.
273/318 used slightly shorter main bolts, and the 340 bolts *could* bottom out when used in the smaller engines (or was it the factory main caps were a touch shorter on the small motors? Old age is catching up with me...), so DC included hardened washers in their tray hardware packages for use on 273/318s to alleviate that problem (You know, the ones that everybody keeps asking "What are these for?"). Factory (HP)318s used shorter bolts, but they were standardized in the DC package, thus the washers.
Question: Factory roller LA360s had windage trays (at least every one I've had apart), but did the roller 318s also get windage trays (I've never had one)?
my roller 318 had no windage tray,360 did

From my experience, the first windage trays were used in 340's. Direct Connection sold a kit for use it in a 273 and 318. Since the 273 and 318 main caps are shorter, they needed two .125 thick 1/2 in washers per 340 bolt to get the tray in the same relation to the crank and same thread engagement as a 340. I've tried using two .12 thick washers under the bolts, but the tray bottomed on the block rails. The first Direct Connection bolt kit I bought actually had the ground 426 hemi main washers in it. When the High Performance 360 came out, there was a dedicated 360 windage tray that used the 340 bolts without washers, since the main caps are the same hight as a 340. Later they got the bright idea that if the slotted the attaching holes they could use the same windage tray for the 273, 318, 340, and 360. I'm guessing when the 318's became a Police package they changed the windage tray and finally made the shorter main bolts for the 318. Thanks @Oldmanmopar!

From my experience, the first windage trays were used in 340's. Direct Connection sold a kit for use it in a 273 and 318. Since the 273 and 318 main caps are shorter, they needed two .125 thick 1/2 in washers per 340 bolt to get the tray in the same relation to the crank and same thread engagement as a 340. I've tried using two .12 thick washers under the bolts, but the tray bottomed on the block rails. The first Direct Connection bolt kit I bought actually had the ground 426 hemi main washers in it. When the High Performance 360 came out, there was a dedicated 360 windage tray that used the 340 bolts without washers, since the main caps are the same hight as a 340. Later they got the bright idea that if the slotted the attaching holes they could use the same windage tray for the 273, 318, 340, and 360. I'm guessing when the 318's became a Police package they changed the windage tray and finally made the shorter main bolts for the 318. Thanks @Oldmanmopar!

I thought there was a kit of some sort because I remember driving an hour (one way, during school) to get it.

Thanks

318 and 273s have shorter main caps than 340s and require those washers under the bolts so that the windage tray doesn't hit the rods. I don't know of any difference between the main bolt thread depth and have used the same ones in both 318-360 engines. Besides bore size that's the main difference between 318 and 340s, the main cap and saddle taller n beefier. Small c shape vent is the 340 tray.

Does anybody know if the D Darts had windage trays?

-
Back