Small block with a turbo?

-

hidden_threat

Reaction score
I have recently acquired a 73 duster that my wife wants to build a sleeper out of and I am curious about the possibility of a 408 with a 76 mm turbo. Anybody run a combo like this? How hard would it be and is it even streetable?
All feedback is greatly appreciated

Dave

I have recently acquired a 73 duster that my wife wants to build a sleeper out of and I am curious about the possibility of a 408 with a 76 mm turbo. Anybody run a combo like this? How hard would it be and is it even streetable?
All feedback is greatly appreciated

Dave

Start here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/forumdisplay.php?f=84

And then here: http://www.theturboforums.com/forums/227-MOPAR-Turbo-Tech-Forum

After you have ask a lot of question, You may come to the same conclusion as me. Good luck with your search and education. ;)

What was your decision ?

Turbo set up is not for the faint of hart or of the wallet!!!!!!!!

If you have enough time, money and patience, it can be grate!!!!!!!
I'm a little bit short on all of that.

I gave you the first links because it was a lot of fun learning what it takes.:burnout: And that last one is long.......... but Vary, Vary good info !!!

I was told to buy a junk yard motor because you will blow up/damage the first one learning. People like MadDart could be the exception to the rule!:D

No need for a 408. Throw a cheap gt45 turbo on a 318 and go hurt some feelings. One word of advice, DO NOT cheap out on the fuel system, and unless you're a carb guru, go ahead and buy a blow thru carb from CSU or C&S.

No need for a 408. Throw a cheap gt45 turbo on a 318 and go hurt some feelings. One word of advice, DO NOT cheap out on the fuel system, and unless you're a carb guru, go ahead and buy a blow thru carb from CSU or C&S.

I was searching the other night, and have not found a good answer. I would like to try this but it is gonna have to be LOW buck, LOL

I'm running (now) Holley Commander EFI

My big stumbling block is "how to" save money on exhaust. I'm contemplating everything from (single turbo)

1--cutting up my set of Hedman headers, which I don't like, anyhow

2--getting some blank flanges, and (cough gag) at least one (pass?) side, either using a header flange to adapt a Chev manofold, or use the same flange to ?? turn a Mopar manifold upside down, IE outlet facing forward and up. That is, do some fab/ machine work, maybe? use countersunk bolts facing out as studs to fasten the manifold to the flange.

I can gas weld and mig, no tig, steel only.

Pick up a set of magnum manifolds and point the outlet forward and down. No need for headers because the manifolds will support all the power you'd ever need. You can fab up your crossover from there, using no LARGER than 2.5" piping. Believe it or not, 2-2.25" is optimum since the single biggest restriction is the turbo itself, and a smaller pipe will help spool. Race cars making 1500+ hp run a 2.5" crossover so keep that in mind.

After the turbo though, you want a big pipe. Depending on how much power you plan on making, 3" (single) would be absolute minimum.

I was searching the other night, and have not found a good answer. I would like to try this but it is gonna have to be LOW buck, LOL

I'm running (now) Holley Commander EFI

My big stumbling block is "how to" save money on exhaust. I'm contemplating everything from (single turbo)

1--cutting up my set of Hedman headers, which I don't like, anyhow

2--getting some blank flanges, and (cough gag) at least one (pass?) side, either using a header flange to adapt a Chev manofold, or use the same flange to ?? turn a Mopar manifold upside down, IE outlet facing forward and up. That is, do some fab/ machine work, maybe? use countersunk bolts facing out as studs to fasten the manifold to the flange.

I can gas weld and mig, no tig, steel only.

Can the EFI be updated to a boosted application?

Pick up a set of magnum manifolds and point the outlet forward and down. No need for headers because the manifolds will support all the power you'd ever need. You can fab up your crossover from there, using no LARGER than 2.5" piping. Believe it or not, 2-2.25" is optimum since the single biggest restriction is the turbo itself, and a smaller pipe will help spool. Race cars making 1500+ hp run a 2.5" crossover so keep that in mind.

After the turbo though, you want a big pipe. Depending on how much power you plan on making, 3" (single) would be absolute minimum.

Thanks, I've been in contact with Andrew, (Ward?) "topfueldart" and the hardware/ plumbing on his is about what I had in mind. I didn't realize at first that those manifolds would simply "fit." If I get enough ambition to do this, what you describe is about "it." I'm hoping he can point me to photos of the plumbing.

Can the EFI be updated to a boosted application?

I think most of the "upgrade" is the proper MAP sensor to handle boost, and then doing what to handle timing control. I've been thinking of going to a MS controller, boost or no boost.

-
Back