Small block with T5 transmission - have anyone done that

-

Magnus707

Reaction score
I have a 273 engine, a T5 Chevy S10 transmission, and a 10.5" pressure plate. One idea was to use this. Has anyone experienced using this combination?

When starting to plan you realize quite soon that there are some challenges. First what Bellhouse to use. The clutch disc will be straightforward, using a 10.5" chevy disc with 14 spines. Then you understand what the release bearing to use. The length of the input shaft to the transmission might give some issues as well. What clutch fork to use, etc....

If anyone has the experience o this, would be fantastic to understand what parts have been used.

If the T5 has the same input shaft diameter as the T56 then I have a few pilot bushings I could send to you to to try out. I believe the ones I have are for a .60" input shaft. Various register sizes.
They are supposedly for a Mopar LA crank but I have a Scat stroker crank and it is different from OEM.
Let me know.

If the T5 has the same input shaft diameter as the T56 then I have a few pilot bushings I could send to you to to try out. I believe the ones I have are for a .60" input shaft. Various register sizes.
They are supposedly for a Mopar LA crank but I have a Scat stroker crank and it is different from OEM.
Let me know.

Thanks for your support. I belive they are different. My T5 inputs shafts diameter is 1” 14 splines.

This swap would involve using the LA O.D. bellhousing and an adapter plate from Gill Welding-
T-5 Bellhousing Adapter Plate For Slant Six | gillwelding
I know it says for slant 6, but the transmission patterns are the same.
This thread from the slant 6 forum details the process using a Ford T-5, so some of the parts may differ, but the process should remain the same. Again, it's for the slant, but the 273 would work the same way.
FAQ The Definitive All Of Your Questions Answered T5 T-5 5 speed To Slant 6 Transmission Swap Guide. - Slant Six Forum

I think the 86-93 World Class 5.0 are considered the best as far as T-5's go. The 94-95 have a longer input shaft, and the 3.8 and 2.3 version are a bit different but can be made to be workable. I think there is a Quick Time bell that mates a Ford T-5 to LA. You'll need to investigate the difference between the Mustang and S10 T5. As I recall the S10 is weaker and the shifter is in a different location.

Quick Time RM-6071 Quick Time Bellhousing - Small Block Mopar

-
Back