small bolt disc brakes

-

spstacman

Reaction score
how does anyone have the link to the thread about swapping drum for disc and keeping small bolt pattern

EXCELLENT link !!

Calum and i took off a set of disk brakes from a 74 dart..they are small bolt pattern..

I am having a terrible time getting the nuts off !! I don't have ox and acc and my propane torch is not hot enough.

I bought a puller and a nut cutter..that is our first job after it warms up..it has been pounding rain all night and today..methinks winter is over..

Any advice on the nuts ??
Ian.

wow great link! thatsll help me a load. heck, they even have a way for me to keep my sbp 14"ers! ive had such an issue with that! (1st i coulds find an axle for my rear, but i now know i need an 8 3/4 for sbp....then i couldnt find disc brakes for em!) its almost as if someone was trying to make me change out my wheels....which right now is the only really nice thing on my car that i have!

wow great link! thatsll help me a load. heck, they even have a way for me to keep my sbp 14"ers! ive had such an issue with that! (1st i coulds find an axle for my rear, but i now know i need an 8 3/4 for sbp....then i couldnt find disc brakes for em!) its almost as if someone was trying to make me change out my wheels....which right now is the only really nice thing on my car that i have!
read it again its for large bolt pattern swap

EXCELLENT link !!

Calum and i took off a set of disk brakes from a 74 dart..they are small bolt pattern..

those werent the original brakes on a 74 A. 72 was the last year for small bolt pattern disc brakes.

You may be, and probably right !

I wouldn't know one year dart from another..I have to go to google pictures <RBG> ..he told me it was a '74.

I should probably measure again..I have had two very knowledgeable gents say I have the lbp but every time i measure, it is the sbp. Apparently, i have the wrong year plastic hubs..

I have a set of 'stang rims..I believe they are lbp ..and they do not fit what I pulled off the dart.

Grassy

EXCELLENT link !!

I am having a terrible time getting the nuts off !! I don't have ox and acc and my propane torch is not hot enough.

I bought a puller and a nut cutter..that is our first job after it warms up..it has been pounding rain all night and today..methinks winter is over..

Any advice on the nuts ??
Ian.

you have small bolt disc brakes that came off a 74 dart? you sure they are small bolt? a 74 dart should have large bolt pattern unless someone along the line swapped the small bolt stuff on there.

You may be, and probably right !

I wouldn't know one year dart from another..I have to go to google pictures <RBG> ..he told me it was a '74.

I should probably measure again..I have had two very knowledgeable gents say I have the lbp but every time i measure, it is the sbp. Apparently, i have the wrong year plastic hubs..

I have a set of 'stang rims..I believe they are lbp ..and they do not fit what I pulled off the dart.

Grassy

you sure your measuring correctly?? http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=en&sa=N&tbs=isch:1&ei=TTiIS6j8F8GZlAenur3PAQ

if they are single piston calipers they are 5X4.5"
only the 4 piston calipers were available in 5X4"

...are you not supposed to have a bigger upper control arm ?

grassy

74 would have the large ball joint upper arms. Std 74 A body with Drum front would have SBP, disc front would be LBP.

To install factory SBP disc on a 74, the uppers need to be swapped to earlier pieces.

The mopar action article is good from an informational standpoint. The "don't use FMJ spindles" is a crock. Other than that, it's good for the info.

I think I mentioned it before with a link..but I have read that if you use post 76 stuff like an Aspen, you will get bump steer..this has come from a reputable person on a reputable forum...but this point is not worth arguing about..

What I was surprised about is the SSBC doesn't come with them..

The SSBC kit for replacing existing 10" drums on a 66 Dart does not replace the upper control arm. The new rotor mounts on the existing spindle. Do not need to replace the upper ball joint.
To the best of my knowledge anyway. The kit should be delivered today.

I think I mentioned it before with a link..but I have read that if you use post 76 stuff like an Aspen, you will get bump steer..this has come from a reputable person on a reputable forum...but this point is not worth arguing about..

What I was surprised about is the SSBC doesn't come with them..

Then why bring it up when it's been refuted by many, myself included, through both testing and actual use. There are THOUSANDS of A and B bodies running the FMJ spindles.

FMJ spindles are better in the mid ranges and the A spindles are better at the extreme. I spend more time in the mid ranges and have never experienced any real bump steer.

Check out the tech pages at BigBlockDart.com, Bill did some testing and showed the results. He's as reputable as they get, IMHO.
http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/spindles.shtml

crackedback

I brought this up to give the readers of this board a bit more information and to let them decide what they want to do.

OK. I didn't think we all had to have the same opinion's here and here I thought we were in a democracy ...tut, tut

I do appologize, I didn't know that there was only one reputable source.

I will try not to bring any controversial or opposing issues to this board.

Grassy

crackedback

I brought this up to give the readers of this board a bit more information and to let them decide what they want to do.

OK. I didn't think we all had to have the same opinion's here and here I thought we were in a democracy ...tut, tut

I do appologize, I didn't know that there was only one reputable source.

I will try not to bring any controversial or opposing issues to this board.

Grassy

You mentioned not wanting to start an argument and I just posted info that I have first hand. Been doing that FMJ swap since the 80's. No problem stating what you read, however, there is plenty of data to the contrary. I know the mopar-action article states what you wrote.

On the positive side, now you have an opinion with test data from the net that is contrary to the article you referenced. The gentleman that did the testing at BBD, builds front end assemblies and is an engineer as well, IIRC.

Sorry you seem to have gotten in a twist about it. Have a good day.

-
Back