Small bolt pattern axle to big

-

Swanny253

Reaction score
I had a wheel adapter fail on me wheel came off and wanting to switch my 8 3/4 small bolt pattern axle shafts to big besides shafts and backing plate. What else would I need and could I reuse the drum brake set up besides the drum

At one time they (Mancini Racing) offered Big Bolt axles that you used the 1 3/4'' shoes drums and backing plates.
No longer offered now. The axles are set up for the B body 10x2 1/2''. Dr Diff has all the parts for one stop shopping.
You may find someone on here that has the brake set as they went 4 wheel discs and will sell to save a few bucks.

I had a wheel adapter fail on me wheel came off and wanting to switch my 8 3/4 small bolt pattern axle shafts to big besides shafts and backing plate. What else would I need and could I reuse the drum brake set up besides the drum
The axle flange offsets are different between the small bolt pattern shafts and the large bolt pattern shafts. What this means is that the flange protrudes farther from the housing with BBP shafts than with the SBP shafts. The drums and backing plates therefore use different offsets to accommodate this. There are many sizes that can be used, from many different donor vehicles including some '73 and later A bodies, B/C/D/F/M/J bodies, some trucks and vans, early 5 lug Dakotas, even some Jeep XJs, among others. But, drums and backing plates MUST be used as a matched set regardless of their source, since so many different sizes and offsets were used.
A body SBP drums (generally) cannot be used because of the difference in offset.
There were (not sure if there still are) axles made with BBP and the A body offset (basically what amounted to redrilled A body axles), but these required the drums to be redrilled to the BBP and sometimes the register hole to be bored out. This means you're married to those drums-any time you need to replace a drum you'll have to get it re-machined, and considering how tough (and expensive) it's getting to find replacements for the A body drums in the first place, I have no idea why you'd want to go that route anyway.
Just get your shafts and use any of the above donor vehicles for the complete (backing plate, drum, hardware) drum setup, that uses cheap and readily available parts.

There were (not sure if there still are) axles made with BBP and the A body offset (basically what amounted to redrilled A body axles), but these required the drums to be redrilled to the BBP and sometimes the register hole to be bored out.
It was late '99 or 2000.I did my Dart and the neighbors Duster.Yes we re-drilled the drums. The axles had the small register.
It is just a guess that they quit making those because the 1 3/4'' drums were not available new. I had a hard time then even finding a good used one.

I have Moser axles in my Dart. I ordered the axles for the standard A body width and hub size to run stock 1 3/4" 10 inch drums and had them drilled with both bolt patterns 4" and 4 1/2", and I drilled the drums for the 4 1/2" pattern. This is for the Dana 60 that's under my 66 Dart with 30 spline axles. I did this about 16 to 18 years ago so you would have to call Moser and find out if they still make the standard hub and width A body 8 3/4 axles. At the time Moser did not charge any more to drill the axles with both bolt patterns. The 4" pattern were drill for the stock 7/16" press in studs and the 4 1/2" pattern were drilled tapped for 1/2" fine thread screw in studs.

Just remember if you use axles that need B body brakes as Dr Diff's do or put on rear disc brakes, they will widens the hub to hub length of the rear axle. So you are going to need wheels with more backspacing to center the wheels and tires back in the wheel wells.

I’m already on a 7.5 backspacing with a 1 inch spacer for adapter so with the wider length and no spacer I should be perfect

-
Back