Small Chip in cylinder wall

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As i was looking at my engine block the other night, i realized that on cylinder 2, at the very bottom of the cylinder there is a small chip missing in the cylinder wall. It is probably smaller than a 1/4 inch in diameter, and is at the very bottom of the bore. I am worried about this. Should this be a big concern? I dont think that the rings go down that far in the bore, so that shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone know if this will work like this or should i take it to a machine shop to get a sleeve put in?

Thanks

Does the piston skirt touch the area,or pass by it? If so you can use a sanding drum to smooth out the area and it will be fine as long as there is no cracks around the area,Mrmopartech

I would pretty much agree with Mrmopartech. Just inspect it good,deburr and smooth as needed, and go. Generally not a problem.

the block is bare right now, but i will check on that. Thanks alot.

If not cracked and out of the ring travel area and lower than the walls...you are good to go. Good luck, Terry.

it was not close to the rings, but the skirt does touch it. I Sanded it down a bit so there is no sharp edge, and nothing appeared to be catching when i put the piston in. thanks for the help!

That's good news 68 A. As they say, 100 years from now you'll never know the difference.

-
Back