Small coolant leak

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I have been noticing a small spot of coolant on the garage floor. After the car sits after a drive some must leak out. But it's very little. I got under the car to investigate. The last oil pan bolt on the passenger side was wet with a drip hanging off the edge. Right beneath it was the spot on the floor. Above the bolt is the oil filter. But up top near the head it looked to be slightly wet. Whereas the rest of where the cylinder head seals against the block is dry. But it's very slight. The 318 was rebuilt a few years ago by a reputable mopar engine builder. I can't believe I would have a bad gasket. The car does not overheat or smoke at all. Can I tighten the head bolts more to see if that solves it? Or is it a lost cause? It's such a small amount at this point I'm not worrying about it too much. Last time I checked the radiator it was full. What is everyones suggestion?

Thanks for any help.

Freeze plug in the rear of the head?

I couldn't see the one on the back but the ones along the side looked dry. I was laying under the car and didn't have time to jack it up and get a more thorough look. Is that rear freeze plug hard to get to?

Very well could be leaking out from one of your header bolts. I had the exact same problem in my 340 and took me a while to locate it which this was the last place I checked. I totally forgot that the header bolts go into your cooling system. Once I found this was where the leakage was coming from I unbolted my header and slid a new gasket in. Problem Solved..:rock:

Very well could be leaking out from one of your header bolts. I had the exact same problem in my 340 and took me a while to locate it which this was the last place I checked. I totally forgot that the header bolts go into your cooling system. Once I found this was where the leakage was coming from I unbolted my header and slid a new gasket in. Problem Solved..:rock:

Would this be the same for exhaust manifolds? Are all the bolts going into water jackets or just certain ones?

Thanks

Get some high temp silicone sealer i believe its the copper stuff and put it on the front and rear header bolts and problem solved.

I had the same problem. Used high temp rtv no more leake from the header bolt. The front corner will do it also.

Just remember that when you pull that bolt withoutdraining the system first , coolant will shoot out of it like niagra falls...LOL

Ask me how I learned THAT.

:angry7:

Thanks everyone i'll give that a shot. Sounds like an easy fix.
Sorry I didnt get back to you in a timely fashion but I see other posters suggested what to do since they have had the same problem. Did you get the leak stopped? I know the smallest leaks are the hardest to locate.

Just the front and rear bolts go into water jackets. The middle ones do not.

:thumbup: 340s... I should have stated that and not took for granted that everyone new that.

-
Back